Blog: Wal-Mart whines as Tesco moves ahead
Catherine Sleep | 30 August 2005
This one leaves me pretty well speechless. I've been trying to think of something smart to say about it for the last couple of hours and failed. Wal-Mart, apparently, can dish it out, but it can't take it.
Did Lee Scott think conquering the cut-throat UK supermarket sector was going to be easy? Did he think Tesco was an easy target? Did he think that the managers of Asda, Sainsbury and the rest hadn't been trying until Wal-Mart came along?
When Wal-Mart took over Asda the British establishment appeared convinced that within weeks it would be the biggest retailer in Britain, if not the only retailer in Britain. To be British is to be ruled by people who are firmly convinced that you are a useless, idle good-for-nothing who probably drinks too much, or would if you were given the chance. The idea that any British company would be able to compete with the mighty Wal-Mart didn't appear to occur to them.
Unfortunately that might even mean that the British government can be sold the idea that Tesco's market leadership means there's something wrong with the market, rather than something right about Tesco.
News Editor, just-food.com
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
A lawsuit tabled in the US has brought fresh attention to the supply chain for prawns, which hit headlines around the world last year amid claims of slavery....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019