Blog: Wal-Mart whines as Tesco moves ahead
Catherine Sleep | 30 August 2005
This one leaves me pretty well speechless. I've been trying to think of something smart to say about it for the last couple of hours and failed. Wal-Mart, apparently, can dish it out, but it can't take it.
Did Lee Scott think conquering the cut-throat UK supermarket sector was going to be easy? Did he think Tesco was an easy target? Did he think that the managers of Asda, Sainsbury and the rest hadn't been trying until Wal-Mart came along?
When Wal-Mart took over Asda the British establishment appeared convinced that within weeks it would be the biggest retailer in Britain, if not the only retailer in Britain. To be British is to be ruled by people who are firmly convinced that you are a useless, idle good-for-nothing who probably drinks too much, or would if you were given the chance. The idea that any British company would be able to compete with the mighty Wal-Mart didn't appear to occur to them.
Unfortunately that might even mean that the British government can be sold the idea that Tesco's market leadership means there's something wrong with the market, rather than something right about Tesco.
News Editor, just-food.com
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Aldi reformulates US private-label lines
- Premier Foods adds to Bisto range
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis