Blog: Want to pop the question? Go to Asda
Dean Best | 29 February 2008
For some, today’s (29 February) burning question is – who in fact owns 29 February?
Should we be allowed a day off? And is it just a way for businesses to wangle a day’s free work from us?
Today, however, is a day when some (un)lucky men around the world face an even more important question. For today – apparently – is the day when women traditionally ask their beloved: “Will you marry me?”
And bizarrely, Asda, Wal-Mart’s UK arm, has decided to lend a helping hand to those nervous women hoping that the man in their life will surrender, I mean, say "YES!".
First, the retail giant is selling men’s engagement rings for a whopping – wait for it – GBP37 (US$73).
Justine Reid, jewellery buyer at Asda, says: “Everybody knows that love shouldn’t cost anything but if we had to put a price on it, we think that GBP37 is the best deal around.
Yeah, when it’s a woman paying. What happened to an engagement ring being worth a month’s wages?
Asda is also offering “extra special” way for women to propose today – over the stores’ in-house tannoys.
What were they thinking?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review