Blog: Want to pop the question? Go to Asda
Dean Best | 29 February 2008
For some, today’s (29 February) burning question is – who in fact owns 29 February?
Should we be allowed a day off? And is it just a way for businesses to wangle a day’s free work from us?
Today, however, is a day when some (un)lucky men around the world face an even more important question. For today – apparently – is the day when women traditionally ask their beloved: “Will you marry me?”
And bizarrely, Asda, Wal-Mart’s UK arm, has decided to lend a helping hand to those nervous women hoping that the man in their life will surrender, I mean, say "YES!".
First, the retail giant is selling men’s engagement rings for a whopping – wait for it – GBP37 (US$73).
Justine Reid, jewellery buyer at Asda, says: “Everybody knows that love shouldn’t cost anything but if we had to put a price on it, we think that GBP37 is the best deal around.
Yeah, when it’s a woman paying. What happened to an engagement ring being worth a month’s wages?
Asda is also offering “extra special” way for women to propose today – over the stores’ in-house tannoys.
What were they thinking?
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities