Blog: Wedding drama (update) and fruit puzzle
Catherine Sleep | 16 September 2003
It’s not much fun when your wedding reception venue burns down a week before your wedding – see earlier entry. However, the day was saved by a desperate ring-around that eventually identified a hidden gem of a hotel in the heart of Dartmoor with unexpected availability. The weather was fantastic, the bride radiant, her parents exhausted…
The dessert nearly sparked a row on our table though. Our raspberry vacherins were garnished with a pretty little orange fruit we failed, as a table, to identify. Its papery husk had been peeled back to form petals and looked most decorative. The front-running bets were persimmons and longans, but nobody was certain. Eventually the Best Man, who just happened to be a buyer for Sainsbury’s, said it was a kumquat, so we agreed to accept that.
However, a quick search on the web at home revealed it to be a cape gooseberry (also known as physalis, goldenberry, husk cherry, Peruvian ground cherry, poha or poha berry), so the professionals aren’t always right. Mind you, he isn’t a produce buyer, so why should he know more than we mere mortals?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review