Blog: Wedding drama (update) and fruit puzzle
Catherine Sleep | 16 September 2003
It’s not much fun when your wedding reception venue burns down a week before your wedding – see earlier entry. However, the day was saved by a desperate ring-around that eventually identified a hidden gem of a hotel in the heart of Dartmoor with unexpected availability. The weather was fantastic, the bride radiant, her parents exhausted…
The dessert nearly sparked a row on our table though. Our raspberry vacherins were garnished with a pretty little orange fruit we failed, as a table, to identify. Its papery husk had been peeled back to form petals and looked most decorative. The front-running bets were persimmons and longans, but nobody was certain. Eventually the Best Man, who just happened to be a buyer for Sainsbury’s, said it was a kumquat, so we agreed to accept that.
However, a quick search on the web at home revealed it to be a cape gooseberry (also known as physalis, goldenberry, husk cherry, Peruvian ground cherry, poha or poha berry), so the professionals aren’t always right. Mind you, he isn’t a produce buyer, so why should he know more than we mere mortals?
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations
- Brazil giants JBS, BRF probed over alleged bribery