Blog: Wedding drama (update) and fruit puzzle
Catherine Sleep | 16 September 2003
It’s not much fun when your wedding reception venue burns down a week before your wedding – see earlier entry. However, the day was saved by a desperate ring-around that eventually identified a hidden gem of a hotel in the heart of Dartmoor with unexpected availability. The weather was fantastic, the bride radiant, her parents exhausted…
The dessert nearly sparked a row on our table though. Our raspberry vacherins were garnished with a pretty little orange fruit we failed, as a table, to identify. Its papery husk had been peeled back to form petals and looked most decorative. The front-running bets were persimmons and longans, but nobody was certain. Eventually the Best Man, who just happened to be a buyer for Sainsbury’s, said it was a kumquat, so we agreed to accept that.
However, a quick search on the web at home revealed it to be a cape gooseberry (also known as physalis, goldenberry, husk cherry, Peruvian ground cherry, poha or poha berry), so the professionals aren’t always right. Mind you, he isn’t a produce buyer, so why should he know more than we mere mortals?
A year after union officials alleged Fyffes abused workers on plantations in Central America - and called on the produce giant to be kicked out of the Ethical Trading Initiative forum - the company is...
Much of the chatter about where 3G Capital could look next has centred on packaged food - but might the private-equity fund be about to extend its foodservice empire?...
Headlines that Mead Johnson's board has backed Reckitt Benckiser's takeover bid will no doubt overshadow the other news on the group this week – that it is facing a US lawsuit from a “whistle blower” ...
Kantar Worldpanel issued its monthly supermarket share data in the UK this morning - and the numbers showed a change in the identity of the country's top five food retailers....
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Will Kellogg's DSD exit help it grow in US snacks?
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Nestle plans restructuring as 2016 profit misses
- Danone eyes efficiency, agility with new structure
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Kraft Heinz returns to organic growth, ups margins
- Danone sales dampened by Europe, China