Blog: Wedding drama (update) and fruit puzzle
Catherine Sleep | 16 September 2003
It’s not much fun when your wedding reception venue burns down a week before your wedding – see earlier entry. However, the day was saved by a desperate ring-around that eventually identified a hidden gem of a hotel in the heart of Dartmoor with unexpected availability. The weather was fantastic, the bride radiant, her parents exhausted…
The dessert nearly sparked a row on our table though. Our raspberry vacherins were garnished with a pretty little orange fruit we failed, as a table, to identify. Its papery husk had been peeled back to form petals and looked most decorative. The front-running bets were persimmons and longans, but nobody was certain. Eventually the Best Man, who just happened to be a buyer for Sainsbury’s, said it was a kumquat, so we agreed to accept that.
However, a quick search on the web at home revealed it to be a cape gooseberry (also known as physalis, goldenberry, husk cherry, Peruvian ground cherry, poha or poha berry), so the professionals aren’t always right. Mind you, he isn’t a produce buyer, so why should he know more than we mere mortals?
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements