Blog: Weetabix and the Windsors
Catherine Sleep | 1 December 2004
HRH Charles Windsor was “practically brought up on Weetabix,” our heir to the throne revealed to delighted media on a factory tour yesterday. This is great. It reminds me of the moment in the 1980s when the nation found out that Maggie Thatcher bought her knickers in Marks & Spencer. These people are just like us.
It was interesting to hear HRH refer to Weetabix as “a family company”, given that US private equity group Hicks, Muse, Tate and Furst agreed to buy the privately-owned group for £654 million last year. Founding family member Sir Richard George is still involved as non-exec chairman, which helps maintain the cosy image of a family-run company. Perception is everything.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review