Blog: Weight loss is possible at McDonald’s
Catherine Sleep | 11 August 2004
In a Dutch twist on Morgan Spurlock’s infamous McDonald’s diet, a newspaperman from the Netherlands ate only under the golden arches for an entire month – and lost six kilos.
The key difference in newspaper editor Wim Meij’s diet was that he sensibly ate across the entire menu range on offer at McDonald’s, consuming salads as well as the more conventional items. Meij’s take on the exercise is that it proves you can eat responsibly at McDonald’s, but research from Oak Brook shows that just 20% of orders are for salads. Still, 20% isn’t bad, and if they can raise this stat, so much the better.
My husband and I occasionally stop at a motorway McDonald’s or Burger King when we are on a long road journey. I never set foot inside either until we got together, but his view is that they are reasonable value and reliable, unlike food on offer in the general restaurant areas at motorway service stations. He (skinny, hungry) usually has a burger meal and I (less skinny, equally hungry) manage to persuade myself to have a salad but it isn’t easy when the hot food smells nicer and is going to be consumed right across the table from me. But it is manageable and I’m really glad that most fastfood places do at least offer salads and other healthier options now. It’s down to the individual to find the discipline to order them. And that's the hard bit.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report