Blog: Western Australia, China strengthen ties via food industry
Hannah Abdulla | 9 June 2014
Western Australia is strengthening its ties to China via the food industry.
According to a report carried by Australian publication the West Australian, a Chinese company is in the process of building a US$42m flour mill near Perth to make noodles for children. No details were disclosed about the company involved.
Last week regional development minister Terry Redman met with potential and private government investors to discuss Western Australia's agrifood trade relationship with China.
"Chinese government policy is actively encouraging investors to source high-quality products from around the world and there are a growing number of opportunities for Western Australian producers, ranging from wheat processing and noodle manufacturing to live export of beef cattle," he said in a statement.
Many other countries are increasing their presence in China and last month, New Zealand dairy firm Synlait said it was "confident" of receiving the green light from China to export finished infant formula into the country. The construction of its dry blending and consumer packaging facility is expected to be completed next month.
UK pork processor Cranswick also announced it was targeting China and Hong Kong with a launch of more premium products. Similarly Smithfield Foods - owned by China's WH Group - said it would build four meat processing plants in the country.
How can diet-related ill-health be tackled? How can the health and wellbeing of the population improve? Such a complex issue is often reduced to soundbites and brickbats, with industry in the firing l...
Dairy processors in Australia believe the agreement between Canberra and Beijing will make them more competitive in a key export market....
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report