Blog: Western Australia, China strengthen ties via food industry
Hannah Abdulla | 9 June 2014
Western Australia is strengthening its ties to China via the food industry.
According to a report carried by Australian publication the West Australian, a Chinese company is in the process of building a US$42m flour mill near Perth to make noodles for children. No details were disclosed about the company involved.
Last week regional development minister Terry Redman met with potential and private government investors to discuss Western Australia's agrifood trade relationship with China.
"Chinese government policy is actively encouraging investors to source high-quality products from around the world and there are a growing number of opportunities for Western Australian producers, ranging from wheat processing and noodle manufacturing to live export of beef cattle," he said in a statement.
Many other countries are increasing their presence in China and last month, New Zealand dairy firm Synlait said it was "confident" of receiving the green light from China to export finished infant formula into the country. The construction of its dry blending and consumer packaging facility is expected to be completed next month.
UK pork processor Cranswick also announced it was targeting China and Hong Kong with a launch of more premium products. Similarly Smithfield Foods - owned by China's WH Group - said it would build four meat processing plants in the country.
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
Opposition to the use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in food continues to prove a controversial issue....
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- BRF to buy certain Molinos Rio de la Plata brands
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Chilled Processed Food Packaging in the United Kingdom