Blog: What do your table manners say about you?
Catherine Sleep | 17 June 2003
A behavioural expert has been enlisted to help decode the link between eating habits and personality. Could an analysis of cutlery usage soon replace the graphology profiling sometimes used in the recruitment process?
How times have changed – not so long ago one’s table manners were scrutinised to tell observers just one thing: whether one had been brought up properly or not. It’s no secret that in certain circles failure to display awareness of etiquette still means you miss opportunities. Galling but true. I guess it’s best to know as many “rules” as possible and then decide when it serves to apply them.
Barbara Hinkel, a most helpful lady in Virginia, is marketing her very own ‘training cutlery set’ as part of a campaign to correct the “abominable” table manners she spies around her. The tools are moulded with “discrete indentations” to encourage correct usage. Kind of funny, but hey, if parents are going to great lengths to make sure their kids get a good academic education they might as well help them avoid social obstacles to advancement too. Snobbery exists; always has, always will.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Ahold Delhaize resolves Kraft Heinz delisting spat
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report