Blog: What is your outlook for 2013?
Katy Askew | 9 January 2013
As a swathe of UK retailer majors deliver their quarterly sales updates this week, the figures seem to be confirming what many of us know from first hand experience: 2012 was a tough year.
Poor global economic conditions, a downbeat consumer and volatile commodity prices all presented a challenge.
But, as ever, there were also opportunities.
Tough conditions led to consolidation in the food sector - and, for some, this represented a chance to expand. Innovation and new product development became ever more important to manufacturers working to convince consumers of the value of their products. Difficulties at home prompted many to look to new markets for growth.
With the global economic outlook suggesting more of the same awaits us in 2013, we want to know what you think the next 12 months will have in store for your business. Do you expect to grow and prosper, in spite of a difficult operating environment? Does your innovation pipeline hold products that are going to wow consumers?
We will be presenting the findings of the just-food 2013 Confidence Survey next month, so please so take a minute to give us your views on what 2013 has in store.
Click here for our 2013 Confidence Survey.
Ads are commonly a bone of contention in this industry, with food manufacturers regularly coming under fire for what they believe is creative use of media. ...
Singapore-based agribusiness giant Wilmar International is to publish more information on how it sources its palm oil, a move welcomed by environmentalists....
Just two weeks into 2015 and competition among UK grocers is heating up further. Will suppliers be caught in the crossfire? Corporate restructuring firm Begbies Traynor thinks so....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Greencore expands UK, US sales
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits