Blog: What lies in store for Metro's European wholesale business?
Dean Best | 23 November 2009
just-food's second trip to Germany in six days sees us head to the city of Dusseldorf to see what plans Metro Group has for its wholesale business in the UK and Europe.
After last week's visit to a buoyant Food Ingredients Europe exhibition in Frankfurt, this event also promises to be an upbeat couple of days - although Metro will no doubt be secretly crossing its fingers that plans to invest in its own-label portfolio pay off.
Makro has had a tough year or so and, in the UK, is facing a battle cutting its losses and at the same time competing with a robust Booker and Costco.
Metro, which has seen its group sales and earnings stay flat this year, remains confident in its wholesale business - not least in emerging markets like Kazakhstan and Egypt, where the retailer is busy building new stores.
However, Europe remains a challenge and just-food expects Metro to present some thorough plans - no doubt almost as thorough as the officials at Gatwick Airport, which has just checked just-food's shoes twice in 20 yards on the way through security.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image