Blog: What lies in store for Metro's European wholesale business?
Dean Best | 23 November 2009
just-food's second trip to Germany in six days sees us head to the city of Dusseldorf to see what plans Metro Group has for its wholesale business in the UK and Europe.
After last week's visit to a buoyant Food Ingredients Europe exhibition in Frankfurt, this event also promises to be an upbeat couple of days - although Metro will no doubt be secretly crossing its fingers that plans to invest in its own-label portfolio pay off.
Makro has had a tough year or so and, in the UK, is facing a battle cutting its losses and at the same time competing with a robust Booker and Costco.
Metro, which has seen its group sales and earnings stay flat this year, remains confident in its wholesale business - not least in emerging markets like Kazakhstan and Egypt, where the retailer is busy building new stores.
However, Europe remains a challenge and just-food expects Metro to present some thorough plans - no doubt almost as thorough as the officials at Gatwick Airport, which has just checked just-food's shoes twice in 20 yards on the way through security.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020