Blog: What role do promotions have in frugal times?
Dean Best | 25 June 2012
just-food is teaming up with FMCG analysis firm SymphonyIRI for its next exclusive webinar, which is set for next Tuesday (3 July).
We will discuss the role of promotions as manufacturers and retailers try to attract cash-conscious consumers across Europe.
Rod Street, executive vice president of consulting at Symphony IRI, will outline the findings of a new report from the analysis firm that looks at pricing and promotions in Europe.
Last month, reflecting on the latest data from the just-food international basket, Street said promotional intensity had "levelled and even declined in five of seven major economies".
Data for the basket is compiled exclusively for just-food by SymphonyIRI and Street also suggested pricing strategies "may be moving on from the promotional hi/lo game that we have seen in recent years".
The webinar on 3 July will look at whether the role of promotions is changing and whether shoppers arebstill seduced by 'buy two, get three' offers when they need to control their spending?
We will also discuss if EDLP approaches are likely to grow as a response to thrifty consumers, or does the excitement of the promotion still animate POS and enrich a retailer's offer?
Austerity in Europe has hit consumer spending and forced changes to promotional strategy and the webinar will outline how suppliers and retailers are looking to attract a shopper that is more price-driven than ever before.
The webinar will include a Q&A session with listeners; please do submit your questions as the webinar progresses. The more the better.
The webinar is completely free to all attendees and will take place on 3 July at 2pm UK / 9am US / 3pm EU / 10pm HKT.
To register now, simply follow this link.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review