Blog: What role do promotions have in frugal times?
Dean Best | 25 June 2012
just-food is teaming up with FMCG analysis firm SymphonyIRI for its next exclusive webinar, which is set for next Tuesday (3 July).
We will discuss the role of promotions as manufacturers and retailers try to attract cash-conscious consumers across Europe.
Rod Street, executive vice president of consulting at Symphony IRI, will outline the findings of a new report from the analysis firm that looks at pricing and promotions in Europe.
Last month, reflecting on the latest data from the just-food international basket, Street said promotional intensity had "levelled and even declined in five of seven major economies".
Data for the basket is compiled exclusively for just-food by SymphonyIRI and Street also suggested pricing strategies "may be moving on from the promotional hi/lo game that we have seen in recent years".
The webinar on 3 July will look at whether the role of promotions is changing and whether shoppers arebstill seduced by 'buy two, get three' offers when they need to control their spending?
We will also discuss if EDLP approaches are likely to grow as a response to thrifty consumers, or does the excitement of the promotion still animate POS and enrich a retailer's offer?
Austerity in Europe has hit consumer spending and forced changes to promotional strategy and the webinar will outline how suppliers and retailers are looking to attract a shopper that is more price-driven than ever before.
The webinar will include a Q&A session with listeners; please do submit your questions as the webinar progresses. The more the better.
The webinar is completely free to all attendees and will take place on 3 July at 2pm UK / 9am US / 3pm EU / 10pm HKT.
To register now, simply follow this link.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report