Blog: What's the outlook for gluten-free in Europe?
Dean Best | 3 June 2015
The development of markets for gluten-free products in the UK and the US has grabbed much of the sector's attention in recent years but what are the opportunities in Europe? just-food has headed to Barcelona this week to find out.
The Catalan city is the location for this year's Free From Food Expo and the likes of Warburtons, Raisio and Glanbia are showcasing their products and ingredients in a bid to further expand their businesses in a buoyant sector.
In its third year, the trade show does have companies exhibiting in other free-from segments but, looking at the companies set to be present, gluten-free does dominate and we will be pounding the floor to hear find out more about the latest trends in Europe.
Where are the most attractive markets on the continent? How do consumer habits differ from Scandinavia to Spain? How is consumer demand evolving? Is the gluten-free shopper placing more importance on a product's health credentials, as indicated by UK firm Mrs Crimble's in its most recent product launch.
As demand increases (both from rising diagnosis rates of coealics and from interest from mainstream consumers), the number of specialist companies in the gluten-free sector is growing - but there is heightened interest from conventional manufacturers, not just the likes of Warburtons but major CPG names including Nestle and Mondelez International).
Be sure to check our pages this week for a flavour of the news and views from Barcelona. The coverage will continue in the coming weeks, culminating in a multi-part management briefing in July.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
Hearthside Food Solutions, the US contract manufacturer, has started production at an idle PowerBar plant it acquired from Post Holdings last year....
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report