Blog: What's the outlook for gluten-free in Europe?
Dean Best | 3 June 2015
The development of markets for gluten-free products in the UK and the US has grabbed much of the sector's attention in recent years but what are the opportunities in Europe? just-food has headed to Barcelona this week to find out.
The Catalan city is the location for this year's Free From Food Expo and the likes of Warburtons, Raisio and Glanbia are showcasing their products and ingredients in a bid to further expand their businesses in a buoyant sector.
In its third year, the trade show does have companies exhibiting in other free-from segments but, looking at the companies set to be present, gluten-free does dominate and we will be pounding the floor to hear find out more about the latest trends in Europe.
Where are the most attractive markets on the continent? How do consumer habits differ from Scandinavia to Spain? How is consumer demand evolving? Is the gluten-free shopper placing more importance on a product's health credentials, as indicated by UK firm Mrs Crimble's in its most recent product launch.
As demand increases (both from rising diagnosis rates of coealics and from interest from mainstream consumers), the number of specialist companies in the gluten-free sector is growing - but there is heightened interest from conventional manufacturers, not just the likes of Warburtons but major CPG names including Nestle and Mondelez International).
Be sure to check our pages this week for a flavour of the news and views from Barcelona. The coverage will continue in the coming weeks, culminating in a multi-part management briefing in July.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020