Blog: What's the outlook for gluten-free in Europe?
Dean Best | 3 June 2015
The development of markets for gluten-free products in the UK and the US has grabbed much of the sector's attention in recent years but what are the opportunities in Europe? just-food has headed to Barcelona this week to find out.
The Catalan city is the location for this year's Free From Food Expo and the likes of Warburtons, Raisio and Glanbia are showcasing their products and ingredients in a bid to further expand their businesses in a buoyant sector.
In its third year, the trade show does have companies exhibiting in other free-from segments but, looking at the companies set to be present, gluten-free does dominate and we will be pounding the floor to hear find out more about the latest trends in Europe.
Where are the most attractive markets on the continent? How do consumer habits differ from Scandinavia to Spain? How is consumer demand evolving? Is the gluten-free shopper placing more importance on a product's health credentials, as indicated by UK firm Mrs Crimble's in its most recent product launch.
As demand increases (both from rising diagnosis rates of coealics and from interest from mainstream consumers), the number of specialist companies in the gluten-free sector is growing - but there is heightened interest from conventional manufacturers, not just the likes of Warburtons but major CPG names including Nestle and Mondelez International).
Be sure to check our pages this week for a flavour of the news and views from Barcelona. The coverage will continue in the coming weeks, culminating in a multi-part management briefing in July.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review