Blog: Wheat prices leave industry with plenty to chew over
Dean Best | 3 August 2010
Wheat prices fell back a touch today (3 August) following the announcement from Russia, one of the world's major exporters of the commodity, that it would not restrict exports even amid one of its worst droughts in a century.
The price of wheat dipped today after climbing to a 22-year high yesterday, fuelling fears of rising costs for food manufacturers and higher shopping bills for consumers.
Despite the dip in price, the cost of wheat will be a hot topic as Premier Foods plc, the UK's largest food maker and owner of Hovis bread, reports its half-year results to the market tomorrow.
Shares in Premier fell today as the market prepares to hear the latest from a company that saw sales slide 5% in the first quarter of 2010. Some in the City believe Premier will not have much more good news to share.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review