Blog: When is a turkey not a turkey?
Catherine Sleep | 25 November 2003
It is often claimed that consumers deserve and demand to know as much as possible about the origins of the food they buy. Deserve, yes, but demand? When it comes to mass-farmed meat, I reckon many prefer ignorance and to be frank I can’t blame them.
I recently stumbled across the interesting New York Times op-ed hyperlinked below. It’s written by Patrick Martins, director of Slow Food USA, so the tone of the article is predictably scathing. It summarises in succinct and gory detail the prevailing method of mass producing turkeys on both sides of the Atlantic.
Although mass-farmed meat means poorer consumers can eat poultry too, undoubtedly A Good Thing, there is a price to be paid for wide access to cheap meat and some would say it’s way too high.You need to register to read the article but it only takes a few seconds and is free.
So, happy Thanksgiving…!
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report