Blog: When is mash crush?
Catherine Sleep | 4 October 2005
I shared the long, pre-dawn drive to work this morning with one of my colleagues who recently moved down my way. She shall remain nameless but let’s just say she edits a website about the textiles industry. Our rumbling stomachs led us inevitably to talk about food, and the conservation took an amusing turn, although admittedly at that hour it doesn’t take much to prompt mild hysteria.
We were talking about who cooks the meals in our households, and what we eat, and she mentioned that she’d had sausages last night, with crushed potatoes. “Ah, bangers and mash,” said I. “No, not mash!” she responded with surprising indignation, “crushed potatoes, with olive oil and spring onion.”
“Posh mash, then?”
But the lady wasn’t for turning. Her crushed potatoes were clearly far too refined to be called mash. What’s in a name? Quite a lot, evidently.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report