Blog: When the old ways are best
Catherine Sleep | 16 September 2004
Austrian supermarket operator Billa launched its hi-tech store in Purkersdorf with much fanfare a few years back. But the people have protested!
Speaking shopping trolleys (carts), automated checkouts and a courteous cleaning robot that asked customers to make way: it all sounds very useful and state-of-the-art. But customers found the speaking trolleys irritating, while the robots bumped into them. Worst of all, the automated checkouts may have helped prevent queues there, but opportunistic thieving meant the company had to check bags at the door – so the queue just formed there instead.
I hope they don't throw the baby out with the bathwater though; some of the ideas are bound to have been positive for shoppers. We're just less good at mentioning or even noticing those, aren't we?
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report