Blog: Where is Fairtrade headed?
Dean Best | 22 February 2010
These are fascinating times for Fairtrade.
The ethical mark, designed to help consumers help those in the developing world, has brushed off the recession, with cash-strapped shoppers happy to pay the Fairtrade premium to give farmers what is deemed to be a 'fair price'.
Amid this growing consumer awareness, particularly in the UK, big brand-owners have upped their investment in Fairtrade. Cadbury, Nestle and - last week - Unilever have switched brands like Dairy Milk, KitKat and Ben & Jerry's to Fairtrade.
In the run-up to Fairtrade Fortnight, a two-week period of events to promote Fairtrade in the UK that starts today (22 February), retailers like Sainsbury's and The Co-operative Group have been falling over themselves to push their Fairtrade credentials.
Such moves have been broadly welcomed by the Fairtrade movement but have caused some to question where the ethical mark is headed - and created more competition for the likes of Divine Chocolate, businesses that pioneered Fairtrade over a decade ago.
Our interview with Harriet Lamb, executive director of The Fairtrade Foundation, the charity that oversees the relationships between farmers and manufacturers, discusses these issues and the kind of future that could lay ahead for Fairtrade.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review