Blog: Who to turn to for the perfect soundbite? Simply D Best
Chris Brook-Carter | 1 July 2009
A number of eagle-eyed readers out there have already spotted the appearance last night of our very own Dean Best on the BBC's Money Programme.
In the fourth programme of a series on the recession, Masterchef's Gregg Wallace was looking into the effect of the downturn on the British food economy, and our managing editor was given ample time on air to give us his pearls of wisdom.
There is little doubt by the end of the programme that consumers have significantly altered the way that they shop for food in the UK. And, the large supermarkets have been forced to respond to consumer demands in an unprecedented way in the last 12 months.
As those proverbial green shoots of recovery threaten to show themselves, the question supermarket strategists are now asking is whether these new shopping patterns are here to stay?
I'll leave it to a soundbite from last night from our new resident media star to answer that: "This downturn has had a profound impact on the way we shop. Consumers are realising they can get a kick out of finding a bargain and I don't think that will go when the economy recovers."
Chris Brook-Carter - editorial director
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast
- Unilever invests in Dutch meat substitute project
- General Mills books lower 9M sales and profits