Blog: Why a baker wants us to eat less bread
Dean Best | 15 July 2008
Heard the one about the baker who says we should eat less bread?
In the UK, pioneering organic baker Andrew Whitley is that man and is organising The Real Bread Campaign to explain why this would be a good thing.
"One reason we eat so much is that much of our food offers so little in nutritional terms that we are constantly eating just to fulfill our nutritional requirements," Whitley explains. "This is where our calorific intake becomes a problem."
Author of the book Bread Matters, Whitley argues that better diets can both cut cravings for junk food and be more satisfying. He is a fierce critic of the Chorleywood industrial breadmaking system, which he believes is wreaking hidden damage on public health through its use of undeclared enzyme additives and zero fermentation time.
His bakery opted for a wood-fired bread oven over 30 years ago, when electricity was an unreliable option for his rural premises and fossil fuel options were prohibitively expensive. Whitley's real bread vision anticipates an investment in time and people, not centralised, capital intensive and energy-hungry plants.
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities