Blog: Why questions remain over India's potential
Dean Best | 7 May 2008
As expected, the Food Forum India conference in Mumbai as thrown up some bullish forecasts about the potential of the country’s food industry.
India, for all its challenges over distribution, infrastructure and, not least, political opposition to expansion in the retail sector, will be a “trailblazer” for the global food industry.
That bold prediction came from Kishore Biyani, the CEO of Indian conglomerate Future Group, which owns India’s largest retailer Pantaloon Retail.
Now, Biyani is betting big on the growth of organised retail in India. His Pantaloon business has some ambitious expansion plans, not least for its discount chain KB’s Fair Price.
However, doing business in India remains fraught with problems. From the lack of modern agriculture and inadequate distribution to the fierce local opposition to the growth of organised food retail, challenges abound.
While India is seen as providing all the answers to food manufacturers and retailers suffering in stagnant Western markets, industry would do well to remember that lots of unanswered questions remain, too.
For the latest coverage from Mumbai, please click here.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review