Blog: Why questions remain over India's potential
Dean Best | 7 May 2008
As expected, the Food Forum India conference in Mumbai as thrown up some bullish forecasts about the potential of the country’s food industry.
India, for all its challenges over distribution, infrastructure and, not least, political opposition to expansion in the retail sector, will be a “trailblazer” for the global food industry.
That bold prediction came from Kishore Biyani, the CEO of Indian conglomerate Future Group, which owns India’s largest retailer Pantaloon Retail.
Now, Biyani is betting big on the growth of organised retail in India. His Pantaloon business has some ambitious expansion plans, not least for its discount chain KB’s Fair Price.
However, doing business in India remains fraught with problems. From the lack of modern agriculture and inadequate distribution to the fierce local opposition to the growth of organised food retail, challenges abound.
While India is seen as providing all the answers to food manufacturers and retailers suffering in stagnant Western markets, industry would do well to remember that lots of unanswered questions remain, too.
For the latest coverage from Mumbai, please click here.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities