Blog: Why Sainsbury's needs to show its green credentials
Dean Best | 27 September 2007
Maybe Sainsbury’s has had a lot on its plate recently but it is about time it started to shout more about its initiatives on the environment and on more “ethical” issues.
Of course, the debate over how much environmental and sustainability issues influence the purchasing decisions of UK shoppers is a live one. Nevertheless, Sainsbury’s needs to demonstrate it is playing an active role in issues like fairtrade and the use of additives in food; the company has been playing such a role, it just hasn't shouted about it.
After all, the average Sainsbury shopper is relatively more affluent to those shopping at its UK rivals and there is a well-established link between higher disposable income and stronger interest in “green” issues.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review