Blog: Why there is uncertainty around ABF
Dean Best | 17 January 2008
Questions still hang over Associated British Foods, despite shares in the UK company rising after a trading update this morning (17 January).
And those questions remain in food.
The market was cheered after ABF reported strong sales growth from its clothing retail arm Primark, which has been one of the growth engine’s of the business in recent months.
Nevertheless, uncertainty remains around ABF’s food and ingredients business. The company warned that EU sugar reform and higher energy costs would lead to lower profits from its UK sugar business this year. Costs, meanwhile, have also hit ABF's margins in the US,
And there is some reservation about ABF’s bakery business, which in recent months has concerned investors.
Today, the Kingsmill baker, though vague on detail, said its bread arm was seeing “improvement”.
But whether that stops speculation surrounding ABF’s future in baking – the industry where the company began back in the 1930s – is an open question.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities