Blog: Why there is uncertainty around ABF
Dean Best | 17 January 2008
Questions still hang over Associated British Foods, despite shares in the UK company rising after a trading update this morning (17 January).
And those questions remain in food.
The market was cheered after ABF reported strong sales growth from its clothing retail arm Primark, which has been one of the growth engine’s of the business in recent months.
Nevertheless, uncertainty remains around ABF’s food and ingredients business. The company warned that EU sugar reform and higher energy costs would lead to lower profits from its UK sugar business this year. Costs, meanwhile, have also hit ABF's margins in the US,
And there is some reservation about ABF’s bakery business, which in recent months has concerned investors.
Today, the Kingsmill baker, though vague on detail, said its bread arm was seeing “improvement”.
But whether that stops speculation surrounding ABF’s future in baking – the industry where the company began back in the 1930s – is an open question.
A year after union officials alleged Fyffes abused workers on plantations in Central America - and called on the produce giant to be kicked out of the Ethical Trading Initiative forum - the company is...
Much of the chatter about where 3G Capital could look next has centred on packaged food - but might the private-equity fund be about to extend its foodservice empire?...
Headlines that Mead Johnson's board has backed Reckitt Benckiser's takeover bid will no doubt overshadow the other news on the group this week – that it is facing a US lawsuit from a “whistle blower” ...
Kantar Worldpanel issued its monthly supermarket share data in the UK this morning - and the numbers showed a change in the identity of the country's top five food retailers....
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Will Kellogg's DSD exit help it grow in US snacks?
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Nestle plans restructuring as 2016 profit misses
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kraft Heinz returns to organic growth, ups margins
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid