Blog: Will Danone's Q1 herald good news for rest of European sector?
Dean Best | 14 April 2011
Shares in Danone rose today (14 April) after the French food giant's first-quarter sales beat analyst forecasts.
The Activia and Actimel maker recorded an 8.5% rise in sales on an organic basis for the first three months of 2011.
The result surprised analysts who noted that Danone's results lapped a first quarter of 2010 when sales rose a robust 7%.
By 16:25 CET, Danone's shares were up 1.9% to reach EUR47.73 and some in the analyst community believed the company's performance could improve the way the market perceives the fortunes of the rest of the major European listed food companies.
"Being the first company in European Food to report in the first quarter, we believed that Danone could have a positive impact on sector sentiment," Sanford Bernstein analyst Andrew Wood said. "We do expect that Danone’s stock will react positively on the back of upgrades to growth expectations for 2011, perhaps back into positive territory for YTD relative performance, and we expect a positive knock-on effect for its European Food peers too."
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities