Blog: Will Danone's Q1 herald good news for rest of European sector?
Dean Best | 14 April 2011
Shares in Danone rose today (14 April) after the French food giant's first-quarter sales beat analyst forecasts.
The Activia and Actimel maker recorded an 8.5% rise in sales on an organic basis for the first three months of 2011.
The result surprised analysts who noted that Danone's results lapped a first quarter of 2010 when sales rose a robust 7%.
By 16:25 CET, Danone's shares were up 1.9% to reach EUR47.73 and some in the analyst community believed the company's performance could improve the way the market perceives the fortunes of the rest of the major European listed food companies.
"Being the first company in European Food to report in the first quarter, we believed that Danone could have a positive impact on sector sentiment," Sanford Bernstein analyst Andrew Wood said. "We do expect that Danone’s stock will react positively on the back of upgrades to growth expectations for 2011, perhaps back into positive territory for YTD relative performance, and we expect a positive knock-on effect for its European Food peers too."
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review