Blog: Will Inter Link thrive under new owners?
Dean Best | 20 July 2007
And so, the saga at UK bakery group Inter Link Foods took its latest twist today (20 July).
The company went into administration and was promptly sold to McCambridge, the Irish food group and long-time suitor.
Jeremy Hamer, Inter Link’s now ex-chairman, told us earlier that the ailing firm would get “a new lease of life” under new management.
Hamer had been at Inter Link for nine years and, alongside recently-appointed chief executive Ian Croxford, had worked hard to revive the business, which in recent months has issued profit warnings and seen sales slump.
As such, one should expect Hamer to want to see the company succeed under its new owners. Nevertheless, the path to recovery will not be an easy one. Inter Link is not a broken business but McCambridge does have some obstacles to climb to get Inter Link on a firmer footing.
There’s the question of whether McCambridge can enjoy sustained growth from the Inter Link business, which produces a range of branded, licensed and private-label cake and pastry products. With more UK consumers looking for a balanced diet and healthier products, can Inter Link bounce back, especially in what is an ultra-competitive sector?
Inter Link is an important own-label supplier in the UK but with the country’s supermarkets putting ever-more pressure on suppliers in terms of costs – and with fierce competition from its branded rivals – today’s news could be a false sign of promise for the company.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements