Blog: Will Morrisons' new CEO ring the changes?
Petah Marian | 7 September 2010
With Morrisons new boss Dalton Philips set to give his first presentation in the role alongside the retailer's H1 results on Thursday, there have been murmurings that the retailer will announce a move into online retail.
The Sun reported on Friday (3 September) that the retailer is planning to announce a move into the channel, saying that Philips is considering a click-and-collect model.
However, RBS analyst Justin Scarborough said: "We believe anyone expecting a strategic shift from Morrisons at this stage is likely to be disappointed."
"After less than six months at the helm we expect his focus to be on opportunities and enhancements that can be leveraged from the existing business model," he added.
However, that is not to say that online grocery, non-food, international expansion and new formats will not be in the offing at some point in the future, but Scarborough suggests this is likely to be "saved for another day".
With the company previously saying it will reveal a balance sheet review in March, Scarborough believes a "clearer view of the business strategy is forthcoming."
Regardless of whether a move into the online channel is announced, industry watchers will be looking forward to hearing Philip's vision for the UK's fourth largest retailer.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review