Blog: Women may be from Venus but can they cook?
Catherine Sleep | 24 October 2005
According to celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay, “the girls can’t cook”. Ramsay has been “visiting ladies' houses up and down the country with our film crew and you would be amazed how little cooking the girls are doing”. Apparently we little ladies are surviving on pre-prepared ready meals nowadays, and know more about fixing cocktails than fixing dinner.
In contrast, the men he’s encountered are allegedly cooking up a storm. Of course these controversial comments would have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Ramsay has a new TV show to promote, would they?
The picture Ramsay paints really doesn’t reflect the world I see around me. I’d say, on the whole, that women remain the more proficient everyday cooks, although some men are taking more interest, especially in what I call 'showpiece cooking' - dishes to impress supper guests.
But why the male/female distinction anyway? The gender issue isn’t so interesting these days. It puts me in mind of that book about Venus and Mars. What rubbish that was. Men are from Earth, women are from Earth too, just deal with it.
Mind you, my mother-in-law thinks I had the most incredible luck in landing a husband who is prepared to do the odd bit of housework. I try to tell her that times have changed. Joint responsibility for the house is the norm in our circle of friends. Any woman who ends up doing it all herself simply chose poorly, in my book.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020