Blog: “You pays your money and you takes your choice”
Catherine Sleep | 26 August 2004
Or so they say. But how much choice do you feel YOU have in where you shop?
If you’re anything like me, you’ll feel short-changed. I have just one supermarket in walking distance, and it’s a small-format outlet in the town centre at that. Within twenty minutes’ driving distance, I have access to two larger supermarkets, although one of these is just a larger version of the town centre store. And this is despite the fact that I live in a town with over 100,000 inhabitants.
It doesn’t feel like a lot of choice. But what bugs me more is the lack of small food shops. We have one independent fruit and veg shop which is reasonably good value and does a roaring trade, a couple of bakers and a butcher. But the last fishmonger shut up shop several years ago. There are a couple of struggling delicatessens catering to the gourmet with plenty of cash to splurge and a taste in sun dried organic exotica, but few people can afford to buy much of their weekly shopping there.
So although many people are far worse off, I don’t feel I have a great deal of choice. This is replicated in towns up and down the UK and it’s getting worse. Check out the open-access feature hyperlinked below and do give me your feedback.
Perhaps I'm just too demanding...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
Greenpeace's long-running campaign against UK tuna brand John West, owned by seafood giant Thai Union, is now directing its fire against Sainsbury's....
The Obama administration appears to have conceded the landmark Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal will not be pushed through in the lame-duck session of Congress before Donald Trump is inaugur...
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Quorn CEO sets out stall for 2017 - interview
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti