Blog: You’ll wish you hadn’t
Catherine Sleep | 9 August 2004
Scotland, home of the deep fried Mars Bar, has come up with another dubious culinary treat of frighteningly calorific proportions.
The Stonner is a pork sausage wrapped in doner kebab meat coated in batter and deep fried. It is the creation of Glaswegian chip shop owner Saei Sangag, and word has it that it is flying out of the fryer.
At least the establishment is warning customers that the Stonner can damage your health. It sounds revolting to me. At least the deep fried Mars Bar had some kind of precedent. It wasn’t so very remote from the battered bananas served in Chinese restaurants; really it was the fact that it was fried alongside cod and haddock that was off-putting. But the Stonner? Can anyone out there identify a redeeming feature?
Actually I'm just back from a few days in Scotland myself. It's a beautiful part of Britain and Edinburgh is a wonderful city. It feels like a sophisticated European city, far more so than London. The architecture is impressive, the location beautiful and the shopping great. Can't imagine the Stonner getting a very warm reception there though.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities