Blog: You’ll wish you hadn’t
Catherine Sleep | 9 August 2004
Scotland, home of the deep fried Mars Bar, has come up with another dubious culinary treat of frighteningly calorific proportions.
The Stonner is a pork sausage wrapped in doner kebab meat coated in batter and deep fried. It is the creation of Glaswegian chip shop owner Saei Sangag, and word has it that it is flying out of the fryer.
At least the establishment is warning customers that the Stonner can damage your health. It sounds revolting to me. At least the deep fried Mars Bar had some kind of precedent. It wasn’t so very remote from the battered bananas served in Chinese restaurants; really it was the fact that it was fried alongside cod and haddock that was off-putting. But the Stonner? Can anyone out there identify a redeeming feature?
Actually I'm just back from a few days in Scotland myself. It's a beautiful part of Britain and Edinburgh is a wonderful city. It feels like a sophisticated European city, far more so than London. The architecture is impressive, the location beautiful and the shopping great. Can't imagine the Stonner getting a very warm reception there though.
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast