Blog: You’ll wish you hadn’t
Catherine Sleep | 9 August 2004
Scotland, home of the deep fried Mars Bar, has come up with another dubious culinary treat of frighteningly calorific proportions.
The Stonner is a pork sausage wrapped in doner kebab meat coated in batter and deep fried. It is the creation of Glaswegian chip shop owner Saei Sangag, and word has it that it is flying out of the fryer.
At least the establishment is warning customers that the Stonner can damage your health. It sounds revolting to me. At least the deep fried Mars Bar had some kind of precedent. It wasn’t so very remote from the battered bananas served in Chinese restaurants; really it was the fact that it was fried alongside cod and haddock that was off-putting. But the Stonner? Can anyone out there identify a redeeming feature?
Actually I'm just back from a few days in Scotland myself. It's a beautiful part of Britain and Edinburgh is a wonderful city. It feels like a sophisticated European city, far more so than London. The architecture is impressive, the location beautiful and the shopping great. Can't imagine the Stonner getting a very warm reception there though.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report