A white chocolate Hershey bar buried at the South Pole over 60 years ago has returned to the confectionery giant to go on public view until 31 January 2002.

The 1937 Field Ration Bar was discovered near the runway at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station in 2 1/2 foot of ice by explorer Douglas Stoup in January. It has been established that the chocolate was buried along with other supplies by Adm Richard Byrd's third expedition, who intended to dig it up later.

The chocolate bars were manufactured in June 1937 to army specifications before the Field Ration D Bar was put into production. The Army required a bar that weighed 4 ounces, be melt-resistant and high in energy. Interestingly, in a bid to prevent soldiers eating the chocolate too quickly, Hershey was asked to make it taste "just a little better than a boiled potato".