BRF has acquired Universal Meats and Eclipse Holding

BRF has acquired Universal Meats and Eclipse Holding

BRF, the Brazil-based meat processor, has snapped up Dutch group Eclipse Holding Cooperatief and UK foodservice distributor Universal Meats.

Eclipse Holding Cooperatief controls Campo Austral in Argentina, which produces pork products including ham and salami. The transaction involves an investment of US$85m.

When the deal is concluded, BRF will become the second-largest player in Argentina's pork sector, it added.

Universal Meats is a UK food distributor, operating in the country's foodservice channel. BRF said the GBP34m (US$50.8m) deal allowed it to expand its client roster.

The transactions were announced alongside a deal to acquire Thai poultry processor Golden Siam Foods for an enterprise value of US$360m.

CEO Pedro Faria said the acquisitions were "a milestone in the company's history" and "a clear message that our expansion plan is serious and consistent".

BRF has struck a series of deals in 2015. In October, it said it would buy part of Qatar-based QNIE's frozen distribution business for US$140m.

The company also moved to strengthen its presence in Argentina through the acquisition of a range of brands from local group Molinos Rio de la Plata. BRF struck a deal to buy two margarine brands - Delicia and Manty - as well as Viennísima sausages, GoodMark hamburgers.

In April, BRF announced a deal to form a venture with UK-based foodservice supplier Invicta Food Group to serve the UK, Ireland and Scandinavia. Invicta contributed its operations to the venture. BRF paid GBP18m for a 62% share in the venture. The UK firm's shareholders own the remaining 38%.