Dole Food Co. said Monday (3 November) it completed the sale of its fruit distribution businesses in England and France to the Compagnie Fruitière Group.

California-based Dole holds a non-controlling 40% stake in the group while the Fabre family holds the remaining 60%.

The distribution businesses are JP Fresh in the UK and Dole France.

The transaction received clearance from the French antitrust authorities while there was no need for clearance in the UK, a spokesperson for Dole told just-food.

"This transaction will allow Dole and Compagnie Fruitière to better serve our European markets, by providing our customers with an extended range of product origins and a more integrated sales policy," said Jean-Christophe Juilliard, Dole Europe's president.

Dole declined to comment on the financial details of the sale.

Dole, a privately held company, sells fruit and vegetables as well as packaged and frozen foods.