A four-year-old girl who died after eating some candy on Halloween was not poisoned, said police in Vancouver.

Pathology tests have failed to throw any more light on why the girl might have died however.

There had been concern that she was a victim of terrorist poisoning, in light of the anthrax scares sweeping the US, and shortly after her death police had warned Vancouver parents not to allow their children to eat trick or treat candy.

Vancouver police Det. Scott Driemel told local media: "It appears her death may be related to some other unknown medical reason."

Driemel added that pathology tests will continue and homicide investigators will remain on the case for at least another few weeks.