UK-based sugar and sweeteners firm Tate & Lyle has said it has acquired South African food ingredients company Dolcré.

Dolcré will begin a re-branding process to change its name to Tate & Lyle South Africa, and will trade under the Tate & Lyle brand, the company said.

Dolcré has been buying ingredients and delivering tailor-made food systems to the South African market for the last eight years and is the largest importer of fructose and sole distributor of Splenda Sucralose in South Africa. Dolcré's ingredient portfolio also includes modified starches, sweeteners, pectins, maltodextrins, fat replacers, flavours and neutraceuticals. 

Tate & Lyle bought a 20% stake in Dolcré in 1998 and recently bought the remaining 80% stake. Net assets acquired totalled £1.4m (US$2.6m).