German retail giant Metro Group has confirmed that its fledging operations in Egypt have suffered amid the political turmoil in the African country.

Metro, which opened its two Makro cash-and-carry stores in Egypt last summer, said both outlets had been attacked and staff had been asked to stay at home.

Discover B2B Marketing That Performs

Combine business intelligence and editorial excellence to reach engaged professionals across 36 leading media platforms.

Find out more

On Friday (28 January), the Makro outlet in El Salam was attacked and parts were set on fire. A day later the store in Qalioubaya was “plundered” with one person injured, a spokesperson said.

The retailer’s 700 staff in Egypt have been told to stay at home, while the company’s international employees have been flown out of the country.

“The situation is too unclear by far to make any reliable immediate predictions on the further development of our operation in Egypt,” the spokesperson said. “For the time being, the safety of our employees has highest priority. We are currently evaluating the material damage and its insurance coverage. We hope to be able to restore our stores and to come back to normal business as soon as possible.”

GlobalData Strategic Intelligence

US Tariffs are shifting - will you react or anticipate?

Don’t let policy changes catch you off guard. Stay proactive with real-time data and expert analysis.

By GlobalData

Just Food Excellence Awards - The Benefits of Entering

Gain the recognition you deserve! The Just Food Excellence Awards celebrate innovation, leadership, and impact. By entering, you showcase your achievements, elevate your industry profile, and position yourself among top leaders driving food industry advancements. Don’t miss your chance to stand out—submit your entry today!

Nominate Now