Carrefour has denied that CEO Lars Olofsson is set to be replaced by Georges Plassat, the former head of the French retail giant’s operations in Spain.

French newspaper Le Figaro yesterday (24 November) published a story claiming that Plassat is being courted by major shareholders. The world’s second-largest retailer has issued a number of profit warnings this year, the latest stating that operating income could fall by 15-20% in 2011.

Discover B2B Marketing That Performs

Combine business intelligence and editorial excellence to reach engaged professionals across 36 leading media platforms.

Find out more

However, a statement from Carrefour said: “Following recurring rumours about the potential replacement of Carrefour’s CEO, the board of directors of the company formally denies all information published in the press on that subject.”

There has been much speculation over the top spot at Carrefour recently. On Monday Bloomberg cited sources that said major shareholders Groupe Arnault, the holding company of French billionaire Bernard Arnault, and US private-equity firm Colony Capital, plan to give Olofsson until the end of the year to turn around Carrefour’s business in France.

Last month, another Carrefour shareholder, US investment fund Knight Vinke Asset Management, urged the retailer to appoint an independent chairman and suggested it could have two CEOs.

GlobalData Strategic Intelligence

US Tariffs are shifting - will you react or anticipate?

Don’t let policy changes catch you off guard. Stay proactive with real-time data and expert analysis.

By GlobalData

Just Food Excellence Awards - The Benefits of Entering

Gain the recognition you deserve! The Just Food Excellence Awards celebrate innovation, leadership, and impact. By entering, you showcase your achievements, elevate your industry profile, and position yourself among top leaders driving food industry advancements. Don’t miss your chance to stand out—submit your entry today!

Nominate Now