The sale of UK convenience retailer Somerfield will go ahead, reports in the UK claimed over the Easter weekend.
Discover B2B Marketing That Performs
Combine business intelligence and editorial excellence to reach engaged professionals across 36 leading media platforms.
Questions over the future of the business grew last week after rumours that the planned GBP2bn (US$4bn) auction had hit the buffers.
A report in The Times last Thursday (20 March) claimed that the Co-operative Group was the only retailer to draw up a full proposal for Somerfield ahead of the 14 March deadline imposed by the company’s owners.
However, this weekend, sources close to one of Somerfield’s owners, property tycoon Robert Tchenguiz, told The Independent on Sunday that the sale is still on.
“People are saying this is all over but it’s not by a long shot,” the source said. “There’s still a lot of interest in Somerfield and we expect further bids to come.”

US Tariffs are shifting - will you react or anticipate?
Don’t let policy changes catch you off guard. Stay proactive with real-time data and expert analysis.
By GlobalDataPrivate equity firm Apax Partners, Barclays Capital and property tycoon Robert Tchenguiz bought the UK’s fifth-largest grocer for GBP1.8bn (US$3.5bn) two years ago but put the business up for sale in January.
Officials at Somerfield could not be reached for immediate comment.