Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
ConAgra Foods announced that it will sell off its loss-making private label business yesterday (30 June) in a move that, the company said, will help unlock value for its shareholders. But selling off private brands is about more than offloading an asset that is a challenging turnaround story. New CEO Sean Connolly insists it is about putting ConAgra back on the road to growth. Katy Askew reports.>
It is time for food manufacturers across Europe to take a more sophisticated approach to range optimisation, Stephanie Augier, European analytics and shopper account director at IRI, argues.>
The disruptive impact of the discount retailers has dominated global retail headlines during June, as our take of this month's key developments among grocery retailers shows.>
Dairy producers in Mexico have turned to product diversification to boost sales in the face of rising costs, weak purchasing power within lower income consumer groups and growing competition for the favour of more affluent consumers. Elizabeth Machuca reports.>
The Consumer Goods Forum, with its 400 retail and manufacturing members including the likes of Nestle and Unilever, has announced an ambitious commitment to halve global food waste by 2025. In an interview with just-food's Hannah Abdulla, director of sustainability at the CGF, Ignacio Gavilan, explains what the promise means for its members and why it is so important to set a goal like this in motion.>
Black Garlic UK founder and managing director Katy Heath is passionate about the possibilities for her Balsajo brand and sees space for growth in a number of channels, product formats and countries. For Heath, the real difficulty is narrowing down what avenue of growth to explore first and balancing the limited resources of an SME. With new processing capacity coming online, Heath spoke to just-food about her plans for this unique product.>
Current hot issue
It is not even three years since the US group became the largest own-label business in the country through its acquisition of Ralcorp Holdings. Now ConAgra's new CEO has decided it is time to sell the under-pressure unit.
In an announcement that would have surprised few, Kraft Foods Group said today (1 July) its shareholders had thrown their weight behind the plans to combine the business with HJ Heinz. The market's attention on where the management of the new Kraft Heinz Co. will look to make savings.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Global FMCG analysts IRI gives you key insight into the trends and issues facing the food sector.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- North Castle acquires controlling stake in Sprout Organic Foods
- Canada says Nestle's Maggi noodles "safe"
- MG completes capex, Unit Trust lists on ASX
- ABF's Kingsmill returns to Tesco
- Tyson expands poultry plant with US$8m investment
- JBS acquires Cargill's US pork unit
- Ireland sets 2025 agri-food export target
- Monogram to buy Golden County from Chapter 11
- UPDATE: Ebro sees sandwich boost from Roland Monterrat buy
- Hovis "mulls Irish Pride Bakeries takeover"
- Fonterra begins consultations in efficiency drive
- French co-ops Eurial, Agrial strike dairy deal
- Sodiaal's Candia signs China JV
- Mead Johnson names ex-Numico exec CFO
- McCormick bucks peers with growth in China
- Focus: ConAgra own-label exit plan is about growth
- How the CGF plans to halve global food waste
- IRI – The opportunity of range optimisation
- Focus: Will synergies lift Ahold Delhaize in US?
- 10 Things to Learn - JBS's acquisition of Moy Park
- ConAgra confirms private-label exit
- Kraft Heinz unveils management structure
- Kellogg eyes trends with product launches
- CMA "accepts" Muller's revised Dairy Crest offer
- Kraft faces lawsuit over 'natural' claims