Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
David Henkes, advisory group senior principal at US foodservice consultants Technomic, outlines why more US supermarkets are putting greater emphasis on prepared foods, with some providing in-store eating and becoming grocerants in turn.>
The digital sphere is becoming significant for consumers - but are manufactures keeping pace? Are they developing specific strategies for the channel? Keith Anderson, vice president of strategy and insights at Profitero, discusses the e-commerce consultancy's survey into how companies are acting.>
Hershey's first-quarter results contained a triple whammy yesterday (26 April) as the confectioner reported falling sales and earnings, cuts to forecasts for 2016 and upped its cost savings targets from 2017. The company's results were hit by continued pressure in China and challenges in North America. Hershey, however, announced the acquisition of snacks brand BarkThins and, on a conference call with investors, the Reese's owner appeared confident it was taking the right steps to improve its performance.>
Manufacturers are facing mounting pressure to reduce the level of sugar in processed foods but could that challenge be made even harder by increasing consumer demand for "clean labels"? Ben Cooper investigates.>
Ben Cooper examines consumption itself and asks whether government statistics in the UK published earlier this year, coupled with observations by the head of sustainability at Ikea, signify slowing demand for consumer goods.>
Ireland-based free-from foods maker BFree Foods, set up five years ago, is growing rapidly and expects that to continue this year, with plans to double its turnover in 2016. Demand for free-from products is rising but the sector, however, is becoming intensely competitive. Hannah Abdulla talks to BFree Foods general manager Alex Murphy to find out how the company plans to continue to expand.>
Current hot issue
The confectionery giant this week announced the acquisition of an up-and-coming US snacks brand, while reporting falling first-quarter results and plans to more aggressively cut costs.
After reporting falling sales in North America as part of its most recent full-year numbers, driven in part by declining sales in its MorningStar Farms meat-free brand, it appears Kellogg is exploring new ways to drive the unit's sales - this time, by giving its consumers a choice; the choice to be responsible.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Global FMCG analysts IRI gives you key insight into the trends and issues facing the food sector.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Fazer buys Mondelez's Domino, Jaffa and Fanipala brands
- Fyffes raises outlook on M&A
- BRF Q1 sales driven by Europe, Asia
- Murray Goulburn accused of "misleading" the market in class action suit
- Eurial, Agrial dairy coops announce merger proposal
- B&G raises FY earnings, sales guidance on improved Q1 profits
- Bimbo posts higher Q1 sales and profits
- Tipiak results boosted by frozen, chilled foods
- First Milk expects to return to profit
- Grupo Bimbo launches Entenmann's Snackin' Bites
- Agrial grows earnings in "major agricultural crisis"
- Food industry news of the week - Fazer snaps up Mondelez International brands Jaffa, Domino and Fanipala, Hershey acquires Ripple Brand Collective, MG's Gary Helou, Brad Hingle step down
- Food industry quotes of the week - Mondelez International confident on 2016 outlook; Nestle, R&R Ice Cream finalise JV; Hershey outlines China woes
- Atria sells northern Estonian pig farm
- Mead Johnson hails "improvement" despite Q1 declines
- Work on sugar could stir more clean-label concerns
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Rise of prepared foods in US grocers - analysis
- Hershey results, outlook, M&A - the top takeaways
- Free-from firm BFree Foods - bitesize interview
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream finalise joint venture plans
- Hershey buys company behind BarkThins brand
- Fazer buys European biscuit brands from Mondelez
- Mondelez sees stronger margins, LFL growth
- Young's eyeing new channels, M&A