Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Gaining Ground, a report produced by sustainability thinktank Ceres and investment analysts Sustainalytics, compares the performance of 613 US companies and looks at comparative performance across different sectors. Ben Cooper asked Andrea Moffat, vice president of the corporate programme at Ceres and author of the report, how the food and beverage sector is faring.>
Customer consolidation, of course, can present challenges and US grocery manufacturers, so keen to up their presence in dollar stores, may have frowned a little at news two dollar chains, Dollar Tree and Family Dollar Stores, are set to combine. However, the deal could give the savvy manufacturer an opportunity or two.>
In the second part of a two-part interview, Dr Mehmood Khan, chief scientific officer and head of global research and development at PepsiCo, gives Olly Wehring, editor of just-food sister site just-drinks, a tour of the inner workings of the food and beverage group's R&D approach and defines success and failure for his department>
French dairy giant Danone has insisted it is not mulling a radical overhaul of strategy as it battles issues at its European dairy and Asian early life nutrition businesses.>
Unilever hopes to rejuvenate its lacklustre food sales in developed markets by using innovation to move its brands into the growth spots of its mature categories.>
Hershey has expressed confidence its planned innovation pipeline will deliver growth in the longer term, even if its latest price increase may hit volumes initially. >
Current hot issue
The results season kicked off in earnest this week and just-food brings you analysis of numbers from companies including Danone, Grupo Bimbo and Premier Foods.
Acosta Sales & Marketing, the US agency that works on in-store executions with US FMCG giants, has been snapped up by Carlyle. But was the multiple the private-equity firm is said to have paid too pricey?
Industry analysts IRI discuss the trends focusing the minds of manufacturers and retailers.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- RUSSIA: Moscow blocks Polish fruit, veg imports, mulls EU ban
- US: Kraft shares drop after Q2 misses Wall St forecast
- US: Cargill closes beef processing plant, 600 jobs at risk
- SPAIN: H1 sales, profits up at Ebro
- US: Beyond Meat to expand production, NPD with fresh investment
- US: Cost control helps Pilgrim's Pride profits
- just-food research round-up: baked goods; Campbell's M&A; confectionery in Sweden
- UK: Supreme Court rejects Chobani's bid for fresh appeal
- INDIA: FMCG sales growth slows at ITC
- NETHERLANDS: FrieslandCampina cheese facility remains shut after fire
- US: Hillshire Brands takes Jimmy Dean beyond breakfast
- UK: Danone ad banned over unauthorised health claims
- UK: Dr Oetker "misleading" pizza ad banned
- FRANCE: Danone takes Mars yoghurts into new markets
- CANADA: Lifeway launches kefir in latest international move
- On the money: Unilever shifting into growth spots
- On the money: Danone denies strategy overhaul
- The just-food interview: Premier Foods CEO Darby
- Why whole sector should take heed of meat scrutiny
- On the money: Hershey confident in NPD pipeline
- Chobani bid for fresh UK appeal rejected
- Kellogg to close US snack plant
- Danone takes Mars yoghurts into more markets
- Tyson sells Mexico, Brazil ops to JBS
- 2 Sisters "passes" FSA poultry plant audits