Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Dutch food group Wessanen has made another acquisition as it continues to focus on expansion in the European "sustainable" foods market. Wessanen is expanding its presence in Spain through the purchase of Biogran, a "leader" in the Spanish rice cake and cereals. Wessanen's management believes the deal will open the door for further growth in a promising market. Katy Askew reports. >
In his latest column for just-food, Keith Anderson, vice president of strategy and insights at e-commerce analytics firm Profitero, outlines what food companies interested in growing online must consider in 2017.>
In a bumper month for significant moves from the world's food retailers, the spotlight shone on the performance of Whole Foods in the US, Aldi announced plans to set up an e-commerce portal in China and the UK's Marks and Spencer signalled plans to expand its grocery business.>
November saw Burger King open its latest market in Africa, Philippines-based foodservice giant Jollibee indicate plans to enter Canada and Europe and MOD Pizza, the US fast-casual chain, raise more finance for expansion.>
Unilever this week held its annual investor day in Port Sunlight, the village built in the 1880s by one of the companies that were the forerunners of the consumer goods giant and now home to the research and development arm of the group's home and personal care business. However, Unilever's management used the occasion to give an update on the company as a whole, including on its plan to drive improvements in its profitability and on where it sees growth from food. Dean Best reports.>
Researchers at IRI have studied promotions in seven major European markets and say their data shows the use of offers is easing. Tim Eales, strategic insight director for IRI's UK business, looks at the numbers.>
Current hot issue
In a bid to adapt to the evolving landscape in the US food industry, some of the largest names in the sector have set up funds to invest in smaller, on-trend companies.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector should be demanding from the country's government now and ahead of talks with the EU. This week, more than 30 bodies published an open letter on the subject of labour, one of the critical issues facing the sector.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Global FMCG analysts IRI gives you key insight into the trends and issues facing the food sector.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Japan's Sumitomo makes play for Fyffes
- Bumble Bee Foods exec to plead guilty to price fixing
- Food firms in Norway to cut added sugar, salt, fats
- Nissin plans new plant in Japan
- Hipp takes control of DMK Humana infant formula plant
- Fraser and Neave wants to further build Vinamilk stake
- Financiere Turenne Lafayette names Eric Le Gouvello president
- Italy's Inalca in talks to build Kazakhstan meat plant
- Sodiaal names Jorge Boucas new CEO
- Post Holdings settles egg lawsuit claims
- UK extends ban on advertising unhealthy food to children to online media
- Your business, the industry and 2017 - just-food wants to hear from you
- M&A-hungry Premium Brands Holdings acquires Diana's Seafood
- Fonterra launches "premium" Anchor UHT line in China
- South Africa edible oil firms raided
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Ferrero entity acquires Delacre
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report