Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Premier Foods CEO Gavin Darby has predicted the UK food group's brands will be the co-beneficiaries of a rebound at the country's largest supermarkets.>
With the cooling global economy, top line expansion of packaged food categories in China has slowed somewhat. One channel that continues to grow apace is e-commerce. Online sales and the development of a multichannel strategy will become increasingly important to international players who have targeted expansion in China. In the next instalment of the just-food management briefing, we take a look at the risks and rewards on offer for overseas companies expanding in China's rapidly evolving e-tail space.>
The price farmers are paid for milk has again made national headlines in the UK - and again it is the country's supermarket chains in the firing line. Even David Cameron has weighed in on the issue. But, UK farmers, like their counterparts around the world, are at the mercy of global factors.>
The possibility environmental criteria might form the latest version of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans has provoked intense debate in the US, with the meat industry in strong opposition. The guidelines will be updated this year and politics may mean green issues are not considered. Ben Cooper argues ultimately that must change.>
Complex infrastructure and limited access to the internet are just two of the challenges in growing the online grocery channel in India. But manufacturers in every sector and online retailers are eyeing the opportunity as the country's economy grows and incomes rise. Hannah Abdulla looks at how the FMCG industry can win online. >
Unilever must respond faster to emerging consumer trends if it is to grow its food brands in a low-growth environment, CEO Paul Polman suggested today (20 January).>
Current hot issue
Sales came under pressure but the FMCG giant was able to improve margins.
Russia has insisted it has no plans to lift the EU ban on food imports, its deputy prime minister, Arkady Dvorkovich, told an audience at the World Economic Forum on Wednesday (21 January).
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Industry analysts IRI discuss the trends focusing the minds of manufacturers and retailers.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands for US$1.15bn
- Vion CEO Herkemij quits meat group
- Tulip launches low-salt bacon offering in UK
- PepsiCo rolls out "sweet" Cheetos
- Nate's Food to "triple" production capacity
- Fourth quarter surge lifts Hanoimilk FY sales
- Respect Foods launches frozen breakfast sandwich line
- Groupe Doux to create 190 jobs
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- Safra executive Darcilo Santos becomes Chiquita CFO
- F&N secures Nestle dairy licensing deal in ASEAN
- Hershey, LBB Imports settle trademark lawsuit
- Food industry quotes of the week; Unilever, Lifeway
- Food industry news of the week: Unilever, PepsiCo, Lifeway
- NuGo Nutrition acquires Gnu Foods FiberLove bar recipe
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019