Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Large publicly-owned multinationals, such as Unilever and PepsiCo, are widely praised for showing leadership in corporate sustainability. In this month's Sustainability Watch, Roberto Ciati, sustainability director at Italian pasta, sauces and baked goods group Barilla, discusses how private, family ownership can inform a progressive approach to sustainability.>
Danish Crown is grappling with a world meat market marked by the Russian import ban and weaker European demand. In response, the Danish co-operative plans to use its global footprint, on the one hand, while capitalising on growth areas such as increasing consumer interest in organics, on the other. Katy Askew spoke to Henrik Biilmann, MD of Danish Crown's organic arm Friland, to find out more.>
The imminent sale of Chiquita Brands International, the US produce giant, shows how different investment horizons can manifest on a company's share roster - and decide a business's future.>
Ensuring product availability rates are as high as possible has never been as important, with growth in the grocery sector hard to come by. IRI's Mike Ray argues retailers' supply chain systems are not enough and better data analytics of store sales and promotions can benefit supplier and retailer.>
Unilever's third quarter underlying sales growth missed analyst expectations as the Hellmann's maker reported its spreads segment was still struggling, and ice cream sales were dampened by poor weather in Europe. >
Premier Foods plc, the UK food group, appears to have a solid strategy in place - but whether it can succeed in eking out top-line growth in a tough trading environment is, at present, less than certain.>
Current hot issue
Chiquita has accepted a third bid from Brazilian juice manufacturer Cutrale Group and investment firm Safra Group after its shareholders rejected the US produce giant's plan to merge with Fyffes.
The UK's Serious Fraud Office has launched an investigation into the GBP263m (US$424.6m) black hole in Tesco's accounts, the retailer confirmed today (29 October).
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Industry analysts IRI discuss the trends focusing the minds of manufacturers and retailers.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Kraft earnings slide as sales volumes pressured
- Amy's Kitchen buys ex-Heinz plant in Idaho
- Pilgrim's Pride earnings rise on margin growth
- Mondelez launches mini Oreos in Thailand
- Healthy Food Brands strikes Welch's licencing deal
- Nate's expands with omelette mix NPD
- Natural food group MamaMancini's appoints COO
- Hershey lowers FY sales, earnings forecasts
- US, Mexico strike deal on sugar imports
- Halloren strikes deal with US distributor
- Labeyrie Fine Foods sets 2020 sales target
- Chaucer buys into Crunchies after hostile takeover claims
- Olymel to expand poultry plant in Canada
- Murray Goulburn delays decision on partial listing
- Agthia Group racks up loss in food despite higher sales
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- Why data is key to shopper satisfaction
- Short-termism decides Chiquita's future
- Growth question hangs over refocused Premier
- Sustainability Watch: Roberto Ciati, Barilla
- Glanbia chairman to step down
- General Mills to launch "Ancient Grains" Cheerios
- Hershey lowers FY sales, earnings forecasts
- Mondelez evaluating Oreo production in Morocco
- Kerry rebrands Wall's microwave sausages