Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
WhiteWave Foods, the US-based organic and natural foods specialist, was spun off from dairy giant Dean Foods last year. Deanna Bratter, senior manager of corporate sustainability at WhiteWave, spoke with Ben Cooper about the company's approach to sustainability as an independent operation.>
In association with IRI, the just-food international basket shows the cost of a typical range of goods in eight markets every quarter. The data also outlines trends in branded and private-label pricing, as well as the volume sold on promotion.>
There is a sense across a number of markets that consumer confidence is improving and the latest data from the just-food international basket, compiled exclusively by IRI, shows the total cost of a shop is, on average, increasing. However, consumers are buying more products on deal and the price gap between brands and own label is shrinking. IRI's Martin Wood crunches the numbers.>
US salty snacks group Wise Foods faces some stiff competition but under the ownership of Mexican Coke bottler Arca Continental it believes it can grow. With Arca eyeing rapid growth from its snacks businesses in the US and in South America, Wise Foods is looking to NPD - notably with Hispanic-inspired flavours - to drive sales. Dean Best discussed Wise Foods' strategy with CEO Miguel Bostock.>
In a move to win over the health-conscious, Heinz has launched a stevia-based variant of its flagship ketchup in the UK - which has half the sugar content of the conventional sauce. But is this yet another gimmick to cool pressures from health organisations wanting food firms to take responsibility for the impact of their products on the public's health? Or will it really gain traction with the UK public, and if so, will this be the start of a whole new range for Heinz? Hannah Abdulla explores>
General Mills' move for Annie's has further fuelled the belief US natural and organic food companies, including Hain Celestial and WhiteWave Foods, could become takeover targets for mainstream groups searching for growth. But the price General Mills has agreed to pay for Annie's also underlines such deals would likely be expensive.>
Current hot issue
The US food giant, facing stagnant US sales, has turned to M&A and struck a US$820m deal for local natural and organic food firm Annie's.
The health story of 2014 has been the debate over the impact sugar has on obesity. The issue hit the headlines in January and has stayed there, with only yesterday a study published in the UK calling for consumption guidelines to be cut. Industry has faced a tide of criticism and is battling growing consumer concern. The owners of British Sugar is taking matters into its own hands.
Industry analysts IRI discuss the trends focusing the minds of manufacturers and retailers.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- US: General Mills Q1 profits tumble
- SOUTH AFRICA: Nestle ups investment in ZA, appoints Donald MD
- KUWAIT: Americana suspends shares as main investor mulls options
- UK: Young's Seafood plays down impact of Kilron U-turn
- US: Yowie starts Wal-Mart trial in US
- US: Kayem expands Al Fresco brand offering
- CHINA: Strong demand sees BanaBay set up Shanghai office
- US: Mexican pasta firm La Moderna "to open first US factory"
- UK: Dairy Crest names Alexander chairman after Fry illness
- Timeline: The latest on the battle over Chiquita's ownership
- NIGERIA: Unilever to boost presence in Nigeria
- UK: Premier Foods revamp creates three divisions
- SLOVENIA: Consortium seeks to offload majority stake in Zito
- SOUTH AFRICA: Clover profits fall on currency, dairy costs
- UK: Mondelez launches Philadelphia Duo Cremoso line
- Focus: The impact of Heinz's stevia ketchup
- Focus: Gen Mills turns to M&A to bolster US ops
- Viewpoint: US health food in play - at a price
- Shopper trends: Some confidence but promos popular
- DATA: The just-food international basket - Q2 2014
- Burton's "eyeing" United Biscuits merger
- Premier Foods revamp creates three divisions
- Unilever to boost presence in Nigeria
- Glanbia to buy US sports nutrition firm Isopure
- Danone's Happy Family adds to baby food range