Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Ice cream is big business in Indonesia, where a growing middle class and a population of 254.5m has fuelled rising demand. But with inflation coming at a time when the Indonesian economy is slowing, the outlook for the Indonesian ice cream market could be increasingly challenging, adding to the distribution issues caused by the country's under-developed infrastructure. Katy Askew takes a look at the prospects for the sector.>
Diamond Foods side-stepped market talk it has put itself up for sale and even suggested it would be open to broadening its own portfolio during a conference call with analysts this week. However, this does not mean the US snacks group's management is closed to the idea of the company shopping itself. Katy Askew takes a look at the possibility of a deal and who could be interested in a punt for the Kettle Chips maker.>
Indonesia's confectionery sector is predicted to grow in a big way. By 2018 it is forecast to be worth US$2.6bn up from US$1.37bn in 2013. But with local players dominating the scene thanks to their knowledge of local tastes and the ability to offer cheaper options, international players looking to get in on the action may struggle. Hannah Abdulla explores >
Indonesia is south-east Asia's largest consumer market and is central to the growth strategy of many an international packaged food manufacturer eyeing or operating in the region. However, Indonesia's economy has slowed in recent years, hitting consumer spending, while there are concerns over issues from infrastructure to regulation. just-food gives a run-down of the issues in Indonesia strategy executives need to consider.>
Two pieces of research in Europe on trans fat underline the complexity of dietary science and, therefore, the formulation of product development strategies and public health messages. Ben Cooper reports.>
When unveiling its new name and corporate identity last week, seafood giant Thai Union Group placed sustainability at the heart of its agenda. Following her appointment as the company's group director of sustainable development, Dr Darian McBain spoke with Ben Cooper about Thai Union's approach to sustainability and aspirations for the future.>
Current hot issue
Private-equity firm Exponent has struck a deal to sell the UK-based meat-free business to Philippines group Monde Nissin.
Austria has become the latest country to join a growing list of European national governments who are opting out of allowing GMOs to be cultivated on their land.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Global FMCG analysts IRI gives you key insight into the trends and issues facing the food sector.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese, grocery unit'
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- St Mamet sold to PE firm Florac
- Lifeway Foods operating margins up, net profit drops
- Slovakia to cut sales tax on food lines
- Sovereign Food Investments in mystery talks
- Hochland launches first vegan products
- Findus brand re-enters two categories in France
- Hovis latest UK baker to enter "thins" segment
- Food industry news of the week - Quorn, Mondelez, Kellogg
- Food industry quotes of the week - Quorn, ConAgra, Thai Union Group
- McCormick cautious on earnings amid India "weakness"
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Nestle gives fresh push to chocolate brand Cailler
- Germany, Italy among more EU states to plan GMO opt outs
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Indonesia: the key macro issues facing FMCG firms
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Mars to buy Mexican chocolate maker Grupo Turin
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015