Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
With first-quarter results rolling in, Jefferies consumer goods analyst Martin Deboo argues the numbers underline the issues facing the sector's largest players. >
Andrew Pearl, director of strategy and insights for the Europe, Middle East and Africa region at e-commerce analytics firm Profitero, casts his eyes further afield to Japan, a market showing promise for e-commerce FMCG. >
Australia-based Freedom Foods Group is balancing its ambitions to grow at home and abroad. A supplier of allergen-free products in Australia, Freedom Foods is expanding its domestic presence through a focus on innovation. At the same time, the company is trying to grow its dairy, snack and cereal sales in China and the US. Katy Askew spoke to Freedom's general manager of marketing and innovation, Tom Dusseldorp, to find out more. >
Danone's first-quarter update hit its shares - and it is likely the fall in its stock price was only part due to the numbers. The French yogurt maker reported meagre like-for-like sales growth as its challenges in fresh dairy continued. The company upped its forecast for its annual underlying earnings but still its shares declined, with some analysts frustrated at the way Danone plans to report on its new asset, WhiteWave Foods. >
The rate at which Nestle's organic sales rose in the first quarter of 2017 was the slowest this century but the results, issued on Thursday, were dampened by calendar effects and were a tick above analyst expectations. Dean Best reports on the key takeaways from the figures and from Nestle's discussions on the numbers with analysts. >
After shedding a series of food assets – and announcing earlier this month plans to quit spreads – Unilever’s longer-term strategy for the sector is always the subject of debate within the industry. This week, however, the consumer goods giant has made what is for the business a rare move: adding to its foods division through M&A. The Hellmann’s mayonnaise owner has bought fledgling US condiments maker Sir Kensington’s. Dean Best caught up with Sir Kensington’s co-founder Scott Norton to find out more. >
Current hot issue
Excluding ice cream, much of Unilever's corporate moves in the food sector in recent years has been to offload assets. In April, the company snapped up fledgling US condiments firm Sir Kensington's.
Danone completed its US$12.5bn acquisition of WhiteWave Foods this week. The move will roughly double Danone's presence in North America, where WhiteWave is a top four dairy player.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Global FMCG analysts IRI gives you key insight into the trends and issues facing the food sector.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Emmi acquires stake in Brazil’s Laticinios Porto Alegre
- Bimbo acquires Morocco's Adghal bakery
- Heritage Foods pushes dairy operations into northern India
- Thailand to restrict baby food marketing
- Young's Seafood silent on 'interest in Icelandic Seachill'
- Norway eyes seafood exports boost to China under new agreement
- Snack maker Cloetta to remove palm oil from "majority" of products
- WH Group sales, earnings edge up in Q1
- Agrokor investigating "potential errors" in accounts
- Food market news of the week - Tyson Foods' one-two, Nestle to cut UK jobs, Emmi's signal of confidence in Brazil,
- Industrias Bachoco benefits from poultry demand in Q1
- Atlantic Grupa sales down, profits up in Q1
- Lamb Weston's European joint venture acquires Oerlemans Foods' potato unit
- Grupo Bimbo sees mixed Q1
- Agrial to buy Italian dairy firm Bonta Viva from Senoble
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Opinion: Big Food needs to think radically
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark
- Glanbia signs deal on Dairy Ireland stake sale
- Dole Food Co. files to go public again
- 2 Sisters' chief Boparan invests in UK's Crawshaw