Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Bega Cheese has had a whirlwind couple of years. Seeking greater consolidation of the Australian dairy industry, it made a play for Warrnambool Cheese and Butter in 2013, kicking off a takeover battle, in which Canada's Saputo emerged the victor. In a two-part interview, just-food catches up with Bega CEO Aidan Coleman, to find out why it gave up on the takeover dream and whether it is eyeing any other opportunities.>
The degree to which structural factors are inhibiting food companies from making faster progress on using recycled material in packaging and other aspects of sustainable packaging has been highlighted in a new report published by campaign groups As You Sow and the Natural Resources Defense Council. Ben Cooper reports.>
Poland-based food and drink group Maspex has grown to become one of the sector's largest companies in central and eastern Europe. A move in December for parts of local peer Agros Nova's business pushed Maspex's turnover above EUR1bn. In his latest M&A Watch column, Stefan Kirk of advisory firm Glenboden, looks where Maspex could swoop next.>
With a call for nutrient taxes and linking the impact of diet on the environment, the advisory committee's recommendations for the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans has been met with criticism by parts of the food industry. Ben Cooper argues the committee deserves praise.>
If there's one thing the industry is sure of, it's that consumer demand for cleaner, simpler food is on the rise in the US. This was underlined by the repeated mention of the topic through the course of the Consumer Analyst Group of New York event last week, Hannah Abdulla notes.>
Danone's fresh dairy sales struggled throughout 2014. Nevertheless, as the world's largest dairy manufacturer, the company believes it can lead the category back to growth in stagnant markets like Europe and the US. Katy Askew reports.>
Current hot issue
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans - updated at least every five years - are set for their latest iteration this autumn. A committee of nutrition, medicine and public health experts has published its recommendations of what should be in the new guidelines.
Morrisons has named David Potts to the post of CEO in the hope the former Tesco executive will lead a fight back at the struggling supermarket group.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Industry analysts IRI discuss the trends focusing the minds of manufacturers and retailers.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- US ports: backlog will take "weeks" to clear
- French yoghurt "cartel" set to hear probe verdict
- Maple Leaf books Q4 loss, shares fall
- Gruma FY earnings surge as margins improve
- Rice boosts Ebro profits in 2014
- Podravka set for China entry
- Australia mulls country-of-origin labelling after hepatitis outbreak
- Flowers acquires Roman Meal TM for bread
- Orior profits up despite flat sales
- Inventure Foods posts FY profit rise
- Scottish Salmon Co. posts FY profit jump
- Post's Attune to take 100% of brands GMO-free or organic
- Barnana secures investment from VC firm Boulder
- Billy Sims-China Food to export milk powder to China
- Deoleo protects margins amid olive oil price spike
- Why "simple" and "real" will be industry buzzwords
- Nestle's 2014 results: 10 Things to Learn
- On the money: Can Danone grow fresh dairy?
- Why US Dietary Guidelines report deserves praise
- Maspex: M&A opportunities in eastern Europe
- Kerry Group CEO expects more M&A in 2015
- Gruma FY earnings surge as margins improve
- Kerry sales, earnings rise but food weighs
- ABF continues to expect profit drop
- Irish Dairy Board to change name to Ornua