Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Compiled exclusively for just-food by IRI, the data shows the cost of a typical basket of goods in eight markets every quarter. The numbers also outlines trends in branded and private-label pricing, as well as the volume sold on promotion.>
A focus throughout Europe on offering high volumes of products on promotion is not making the average shopping basket any cheaper, and consumers are not necessarily getting a good deal on price and are ending up paying more for their average shop, according to IRI's Tim Eales.>
The UK's Advertising Standards Authority dealt Mondelez International a blow today (26 November) when it found the group's YouTube ads breach the country's advertising code. The ruling is significant for the snacks giant given the recent video-streaming drive it hopes will position it as a "digital pioneer". Mondelez is nevertheless wise to forge ahead in its bid to connect with consumers online, Katy Askew suggests.>
Post Holdings has undergone significant change in the last two years through a spate of M&A. While there are questions about the outlook for some of the newly-acquired assets - and for its core cereal business - the US group this week expressed confidence about its outlook.>
Over the last twelve months Irish food group Greencore outperformed the overall food market in UK, its largest market, on the back of its exposure to the faster-growth food-to-go segment and expansion in convenience channels.>
Kerry Group is reportedly mulling the sale of its frozen food business. The company has seen strong sales and profit momentum at its ingredients unit but endured a lacklustre performance from the consumer foods side of the business. In this context, it makes sense for the Irish company to pare down peripheral and under-performing areas of Kerry Foods. Katy Askew reports.>
Current hot issue
Egyptian snacks group Bisco Misr and local dairy company Arab Dairy have hit the M&A headlines. Kellogg is battling it out with private-equity group Abraaj for Bisco Misr, while Arab Dairy has attracted takeover bids from Arla Foods and, this week, Lactalis.
Global food waste is a mounting problem. In France, McCain Foods and local retailer E. Leclerc have come up with an initiative to eat into that mountain.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Industry analysts IRI discuss the trends focusing the minds of manufacturers and retailers.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Campylobacter in 70% of UK supermarket chicken - FSA
- Arla to restructure UK arm, 100 jobs at risk
- Mahindra plans dairy entry with US$80m acquisition
- Parle trimming portfolio from 50 to 20 brands
- Egyptian snack maker Edita Food Industries to list
- Patons rolls out Macadamia nut milk range
- Ros Agro posts higher profits
- Abraaj ups offer again in Bisco Misr takeover battle
- Danone "mulls Yakult stake sale"
- Hormel mulling exit from Vietnam
- Finsbury's UK cake sales offset overseas slide
- Hormel Foods to close US plant
- General Mills to consider "water risk" in business decisions
- Strauss Group sees Q3 rebound
- Scottish Salmon Co. reports 9M profit
- Deal or no deal: Frozen sale makes sense for Kerry
- On the money: How Greencore is outperforming
- Comment: Mondelez digital strategy suffers blow
- JBS sees big opportunity from Primo Smallgoods
- Shopper trends: Promos can mean higher prices
- Kerry puts frozen food unit on block - reports
- Coca-Cola eyes long-term rewards with dairy push
- Post issues warning over US cereal sector sales
- UPDATE: Greencore eyes US$1bn US business
- Abraaj outbids Kellogg with fresh Bisco Misr offer