Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Breakfast is still proving to be a challenge for Kellogg, which cut its forecasts for annual sales and earnings after reporting lower revenues and profits for the second quarter.>
Kraft Foods Group's moves to up prices on certain products - and a step-up in its promotional activity in other areas - combined to put pressure on the US food company's results in the first half of the year.>
Indian conglomerate ITC this week reported losses from its FMCG arm, as well as a slowdown in sales, but the company's has big ambitions for its consumer goods business.>
Gaining Ground, a report produced by sustainability thinktank Ceres and investment analysts Sustainalytics, compares the performance of 613 US companies and looks at comparative performance across different sectors. Ben Cooper asked Andrea Moffat, vice president of the corporate programme at Ceres and author of the report, how the food and beverage sector is faring.>
Customer consolidation, of course, can present challenges and US grocery manufacturers, so keen to up their presence in dollar stores, may have frowned a little at news two dollar chains, Dollar Tree and Family Dollar Stores, are set to combine. However, the deal could give the savvy manufacturer an opportunity or two.>
In the second part of a two-part interview, Dr Mehmood Khan, chief scientific officer and head of global research and development at PepsiCo, gives Olly Wehring, editor of just-food sister site just-drinks, a tour of the inner workings of the food and beverage group's R&D approach and defines success and failure for his department>
Current hot issue
The results season kicked off in earnest this week and just-food brings you analysis of numbers from companies including Danone, Grupo Bimbo and Premier Foods.
Acosta Sales & Marketing, the US agency that works on in-store executions with US FMCG giants, has been snapped up by Carlyle. But was the multiple the private-equity firm is said to have paid too pricey?
Industry analysts IRI discuss the trends focusing the minds of manufacturers and retailers.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- BRAZIL: Profitability focus paying off, says BRF
- US: Washington changes poultry inspection rules
- AUS: Sanitarium moves Weet-Bix cereal into gluten-free
- AUS: Chobani confirms Malaysia listings
- UK: Real Good Food claims "progress" despite sugar row
- UKRAINE: Shares plunge on Ukrproduct H1 profit warning
- FRANCE: Fleury Michon lowers FY sales forecast
- Editor's choice: the highlights on just-food this week
- Quote, unquote: just-food's week in words
- just-food research round-up: baked goods; Campbell's M&A; confectionery in Sweden
- US: Kellogg lowers sales, earnings forecasts
- RUSSIA: Moscow blocks Polish fruit, veg imports, mulls EU ban
- US: Cargill closes beef processing plant, 600 jobs at risk
- US: Kraft shares drop after Q2 misses Wall St forecast
- US: Kellogg ordered to end nine-month Memphis lockout
- On the money: Unilever shifting into growth spots
- Indian conglomerate ITC sets out FMCG ambition
- On the money: Danone denies strategy overhaul
- Why whole sector should take heed of meat scrutiny
- On the money: Kellogg still struggling with cereal
- Chobani bid for fresh UK appeal rejected
- Kellogg to close US snack plant
- Danone UK ad banned over unauthorised claims
- Danone takes Mars yoghurts into more markets
- Tyson sells Mexico, Brazil ops to JBS