Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Unilever's third quarter underlying sales growth missed analyst expectations as the Hellmann's maker reported its spreads segment was still struggling, and ice cream sales were dampened by poor weather in Europe. >
Premier Foods plc, the UK food group, appears to have a solid strategy in place - but whether it can succeed in eking out top-line growth in a tough trading environment is, at present, less than certain.>
The US spreads and gluten-free group saw its shares slump yesterday after warning about its short-term profitability. Boulder's Smart Balance business continues to struggle and Dean Best argues the company should be mulling the brand's future within the group's portfolio.>
Greek dairy manufacturer Fage is eyeing growth in Europe as the Greek yoghurt craze in the US loses steam. Katy Askew caught up with the company at the SIAL exhibition in Paris to find out more.>
Quirky French food group Michel et Augustin is enjoying rapid growth at home and overseas with a portfolio ranging from biscuits to beverages. Backing from Artemis, the French investment fund with assets including the Chateau Latour vineyard, is enabling the company to expand further - and it is set to enter the US. Dean Best met Antoine Chauvel, the firm's export director, at the SIAL trade show in Paris to find out more about its plans.>
Chiquita Brands International still appears set on its proposed merger with Fyffes – and the US produce giant is, at the moment, right to do so.>
Current hot issue
just-food is in Paris for one of the key dates in the food industry calendar to hear the latest news and views from companies across the sector.
Just weeks after announcing a purchasing tie-up in France with local rival Systeme U, Auchan has outlined an international agreement with Germany's Metro Group.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Industry analysts IRI discuss the trends focusing the minds of manufacturers and retailers.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Chiquita shareholders reject Fyffes merger
- Grupo Bimbo profits up on Canada Bread, lower costs
- Wessanen sees sales and earnings gains
- FSA to investigate goat cheese fraud claims
- AGT Food & Ingredients eyes packaged food expansion
- Food industry quotes of the week: Chiquita, Unilever, SIAL 2014
- Seneca Foods losses widen in Q2
- Timeline: The latest on the battle over Chiquita's ownership
- Food industry news of the week: Chiquita, Premier Foods, LDC
- Del Monte Pacific to raise funds with share issue
- Hanoimilk sales deteriorate but earnings gain
- Sanfilippo reports profit pressure from higher volumes
- Savola reports mixed nine-month profits
- Premier cautious on profits after sales slide in Q3
- Cutrale, Safra increase Chiquita takeover offer again
- SIAL 2014: Greek yoghurt firm Fage targets Europe
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- Why Nestle is relaxed about the China "drag"
- Focus: Will Danone return to growth in dairy?
- SIAL: French firm Michel et Augustin to enter US
- SIAL 2014: Premier in talks over US manufacturing
- Kellogg, Nestle slammed for "chaotic" salt policy
- Premier cautious on profits after Q3 sales slide
- Mars puts R&D at centre of US plant expansion
- Italy warns of EUR200m hit from Russia ban