Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Campbell Soup Co. has looked to inject growth into its business through acquisitions in recent years and the indications are this is likely to continue. But where should the US giant look to do deals? Stefan Kirk, just-food M&A columnist and advisor at M&A consultants Glenboden, weighs up the group's options.>
Unilever has said it wants to move its food business to a new growth phase by investing in areas that offer the greatest top-line potential in emerging and developed markets.>
Mead Johnson's business in China has come under pressure and was a factor in the US infant formula group's profit warning earlier this month. Low dairy costs and downbeat consumer sentiment have sparked fierce competition on price and Mead Johnson is uncertain when conditions will ease. But it insists it is investing for long-term growth in the country.>
Campbell Soup Co. is undergoing some significant changes in response to a new economic reality and shifting consumer preferences. These changes are both structural and cultural. On the one hand, the group wants to leverage its scale, on the other, it recognises the need to be "agile" and adopt a "challenger mindset". >
With General Mills apparently preparing to sell its Green Giant brand, Bonduelle is rumoured to be looking at a bid. The fit between Green Giant and Bonduelle's existing business is a natural one and the move would significantly step up the French group's presence in North America. However, Green Giant has seen lacklustre sales and its market share decline. Would Bonduelle move for a turnaround story? Katy Askew investigates.>
US protein-based pancake mix maker Flapjacked has just launched its second product - muffins - to try to tap into growing demand for on-the-go protein products. Launched in 2012 by husband and wife team David and Jennifer Bacon in 2012, the company believes consumers do not just want protein but better-for-you products. Hannah Abdulla learns more. >
Current hot issue
The recent easing of China's economic growth has weighed on the local operations of some of the food industry's majors.
After a particularly difficult quarter in India where it became the centre of the country's worst food scare in a decade, Nestle has reported a loss in its India business for the second quarter of the year.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Global FMCG analysts IRI gives you key insight into the trends and issues facing the food sector.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Post, TreeHouse "in talks over ConAgra own-label unit"
- Brownes Dairy owner Archer Capital "eyes sale"
- Lactalis surpasses Danone on dairy league table
- BRF coy on domestic investment
- Foster Farms rolls out low-sodium sliced turkey line
- Lindt adds Hello Bites to US portfolio
- World Bank to support Kyrgyzstan dairy sector
- General Mills' Annie's expands cookie range
- Sunny Queen enters Hong Kong, Macau
- Mead Johnson settles SEC probe of China promotions
- Greencore sales up on UK, US growth
- CapVest buys Origin Enterprises stake in Valeo Foods
- Fresh Del Monte Produce H1 profits down
- Indonesia "lifts duties on FMCG imports"
- PepsiCo, Cargill back US climate pledge
- Mead Johnson wrestles "irrational" Chinese market
- Campbell Soup Co.'s M&A plans should avoid fresh
- On the money: Unilever aims to get food growing
- 10 things to learn: Campbell's plans for growth
- Interview: Flapjacked looks to ride protein wave
- Hain Celestial buys plant-based food firm Mona
- Danone eyes "return to growth" in fresh dairy
- Nestle replaces India MD after Maggi scandal
- UPDATE: Danone merges Dumex with Mengniu
- Sainsbury's launches kids frozen meal range