Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
General Mills has reported market share growth across its three "priority" categories in the US - cereal, yoghurt and snacks - but sluggish sector sales trends and continuing under-performance from struggling areas of its portfolio continue to hit the group's US retail business.>
Upward pressure is continuing in food industry M&A transactions, as demonstrated by some large public deals in 2014. However that has not fed through to smaller, non-public deals, which make up the bulk of M&A deals. Stefan Kirk draws attention to one potential driver of higher-equity values, and thus higher transaction volume, in so-called main-street M&A - changes in valuation methodology, forced over the line by long-term low interest rates.>
just-food's contributing editor Ben Cooper predicts what will be the key issues in food sustainability circles in 2015, with the debate over sugar likely to continue to rage, while supply chains - in regard to environmental and retailer pressure - will also - command attention.>
In the second part of a two-part interview with just-food, Groupe Doux CEO Arnaud Marion highlights the move to a new business model, away from one heavily-dependent on EU subsidies, the company's efforts to diversify the business and the outlook for the French poultry processor.>
French poultry supplier Groupe Doux is a company looking to the future after a challenging recent past. From June 2012, Doux spent 18 months in administration after pressure from raw material costs and a failed foray into Brazil. In the a two-part interview, Stuart Todd speaks to Doux CEO Arnaud Marion, the turnaround specialist hired by the administrators and who has stayed on to lead the business into what he hopes is sustained recovery.>
Danone today (12 December) made a series of announcements, including a division to focus on Africa, an update on the future of the company's medical nutrition arm and changes in senior management. Analysts saw the moves as a sign recently-appointed CEO Emmanuel Faber was making his mark on the business and they gave the initiatives a warm welcome. Dean Best reports.>
Current hot issue
We provide some at-a-glance lists of our most-read news, analysis, comment and interviews in 2014. Want to know more? Click on the headlines.
Singapore-based agribusiness group Olam International is to become a major international cocoa supplier after announcing a US$1.3bn deal for Archer Daniel Midlands' cocoa business.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Industry analysts IRI discuss the trends focusing the minds of manufacturers and retailers.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Thai Union to buy US seafood firm Bumble Bee
- BRF, Indofood ink Indonesia JV deal
- Unilever ends Just Mayo legal action
- Pork Farms "disappointed" over watchdog's Kerry deal stance
- Just Mayo owner Hampton Creek eyes overseas expansion
- Unilever in European disposal of Mazola cooking oil
- Japan dairy firms step up butter output to tackle shortage
- Parmalat moves for Australian dairy Longwarry Food Park
- Maspex to buy Agros Nova assets from PE firm IK
- OneHarvest to build pre-packed salads plant in Australia
- Food industry quotes of the week: Kraft, Thai Union, Doux
- Food industry news of the week: Bumble Bee, ConAgra, Kraft
- Sanderson Farms Q4 profits beat analyst forecasts
- HKScan to sell egg, hatchery units as revamp continues
- Bimbo's New York Bakery Co. bagels set for French launch
- General Mills US "priority" categories gain share
- Interview part 2: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- 2015 preview: A better deal for M&A sellers
- The just-food interview: Doux CEO Arnaud Marion
- Cleaning up Tesco will have mixed supplier impact
- General Mills outlines "aggressive" NPD drive
- Kraft to reappraise business, says new CEO Cahill
- General Mills earnings drop one-third
- PepsiCo opens snacks plant in Saudi Arabia
- Bimbo to buy Saputo's bakery arm