Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Arla Foods is wise to invest in its whey protein production capacity. However, the company is far from alone in pursuing this strategy, with various dairy firms stepping up production to meet growing global demand. As activity increases so too could competition, Katy Askew suggests.>
Few food companies, if any, have been as acquisitive as Canadian dairy co-operative Agropur in recent quarters. And the group's M&A activity appears to have picked up since CEO Robert Coallier joined the business in 2012. In part two of the latest just-food interview, Coallier explains the reasons behind Agropur's appetite.>
China's largest dairy manufacturer China Mengniu Dairy has shrugged off investor concerns over margin pressure, insisting its strategy to raise investment behind "star" and growth brands will improve the group's long-term profitability profile. Katy Askew reports.>
Scandinavian free-from firm Fria entered Ireland last month, its 11th European market since it launched in 1996, another example of the growth in demand for gluten-, lactose- and dairy-free products. just-food's Hannah Abdulla caught up with Fria CEO Jeanine Holmgren about the latest trends in the sector and how innovation is a key factor to staying ahead in this sector>
New Zealand dairy giant Fonterra and Chinese baby food maker Beingmate are to form a joint venture to try to capitalise on the exponential growth of the Chinese infant formula sector. With each partner bringing something very different to the table, Katy Askew suggests the new entity is well-placed to leverage the strengths of both.>
An initiative launched under the auspices of President Obama's Climate Action Plan will see the government foster a major expansion of biogas use. Ben Cooper looks at the implications of the US government's Biogas Opportunities Roadmap for US food manufacturers.>
Current hot issue
Moscow has banned a range of foodstuffs from the US, the EU and other countries in response to the steeping of sanctions from the West.
UK health leaders have called for an "emergency task force" to tackle the childhood obesity crisis in the country as, for the first time, they are faced with a generation of patients "who may predecease their parents".
Industry analysts IRI discuss the trends focusing the minds of manufacturers and retailers.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- EGYPT: Bisco Misr says Kellogg eyeing majority stake
- AFRICA: FrieslandCampina drives presence with Olam dairy plant acquisition
- CHINA: WH Group H1 earnings jump 105%
- RUSSIA: Ros Agro posts profit rise in H1
- UK: Iglo launches Birds Eye Steamfresh range
- UK: Heinz halves sugar in latest ketchup launch
- US: Produce group BanaBay targets US growth
- Quote, unquote: just-food's week in words
- Editor's choice: the highlights on just-food this week
- US: Hershey takes LBB Imports to court in trademark dispute
- US: Chiquita mulls lawsuit over NGO allegations
- RUSSIA: Valio lactose-free imports stopped at border
- US: Chiquita hit with banana marketing lawsuit
- SPAIN: Deoleo sees H1 loss on refinancing costs
- FINLAND: Valio targets China with EUR70m whey investment
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- On the money: Hormel still looking for M&A
- Fonterra, Beingmate launch infant formula JV
- Valio lactose-free trucks stopped at Russia border
- UK firm Pasta Reale enters administration
- H1 profits down at dairy group FrieslandCampina
- Mondelez eyes snacks categories in India