Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Brazil-based JBS is already the world's largest meat supplier but it has its sights on growing further in value-added products and in Asia - and has turned to a business in Australia to help it achieve that goal.>
Price is becoming an ever more significant issue in the UK grocery sector. Squeezed consumers and pressured retailers are increasingly focused on a product's RRP. But there are still ways that manufacturers and supermarkets can add value. A central theme of the IGD online conference this week was the need for manufacturers and retailers to collaborate online if they are to avoid a race to the bottom. Katy Askew reports.>
BRF, the Brazilian meat giant, is undergoing significant change. The company has undertaken a massive behind-the-scenes restructuring drive to streamline its operations and build a structure that will deliver stable returns. BRF has now turned its attention to expansion, setting out an ambitious growth agenda. Can it deliver? Katy Askew investigates.>
Brazilian food group BRF is working to an ambitious agenda. The company is bent on expanding as a global food manufacturer operating in the protein space. However, eking out growth in stagnant developed markets such as Europe can prove somewhat problematic. At this year's SIAL trade show in Paris, Katy Askew spoke to Europe CEO Roberto Banfi to find out how the company plans to meet this challenge.>
Pinnacle Foods, owner of Wishbone dressings, has been shopping and has picked out a firm that is going to bulk out its presence in the frozen food aisle and win it brownie points with a heap of consumers. >
As we heard in part one of the just-food interview, BRF has undergone a far-reaching restructuring process that, it believes, will deliver a more stable margin structure. The company is now moving to a new phase of growth as this stable foundation enables it to ramp up top-line expansion at home and overseas. Katy Askew speaks to BRF chief financial officer Augusto Ribeiro to find out more.>
Current hot issue
Egyptian snacks group Bisco Misr and local dairy company Arab Dairy have hit the M&A headlines. Kellogg is battling it out with private-equity group Abraaj for Bisco Misr, while Arab Dairy has attracted takeover bids from Arla Foods and, this week, Lactalis.
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups maker, Hershey, has taken the reins at the Winn Dixie store in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, ensuring candy gets the attention it deserves - right at the front of the store.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Industry analysts IRI discuss the trends focusing the minds of manufacturers and retailers.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Kellogg: Bisco Misr bid part of "global leader" snacks aim
- Mizkan announces restructure, 87 UK jobs at risk
- JBS to buy Australian meats group Primo Smallgoods
- UDP to continue trading despite owner entering receivership
- Terrena sells Elivia stake to Dawn Meats
- Yili pumps CNY2bn more into NZ facility
- Danone, General Mills, Chobani "misleading parents"
- JBS to snap up Brazilian poultry firm Big Frango Group
- Food industry news of the week: Kellogg, JBS, bird flu
- KT Agrar buys vegetable plant from Greenyard Foods
- Greenyard Foods profits improve in H1
- Food industry quotes of the week: BRF, United Biscuits, Raisio
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- United Biscuits UK plant to start strike action
- Dutch suspend poultry distribution again amid second bird flu outbreak
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- Focus: Can BRF deliver aggressive growth?
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Wrigley opposes Perfetti Van Melle "WTF" TM
- Dutch confirm second bird flu outbreak
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Dairy Product Production in China
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report