Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Hormel Foods swooped to acquire natural and organic meat processor Applegate Farms earlier this week in a US$775m deal. In financial terms, the deal does not bring much to the table. Industry experts, however, have reacted favourably due to the long-term growth prospects of the natural and organic meat category. Hannah Abdulla explores what the deal means for Hormel.>
Set up in 2013 by the couple behind the Debbie & Andrew's brand, UK sausage maker Heck Foods has succeeded in becoming a national business and is eyeing expansion into its first overseas market. Dean Best spoke to one of the company's founders, Andrew Keeble, about Heck's growth, the competition in the UK and its bid to crack the Australian market.>
Arla Foods has entered a joint venture with Egypt's leading dairy processor, Juhayna Food Industries, that leaves the European dairy co-operative poised for expansion in a promising emerging market. Expanding via a tie-up with a local company is a smart move from Arla as it works to grow in a market where competition is on the up and M&A valuations are high. Katy Askew reports.>
Rising incomes in Latin America have led to a burgeoning yoghurt sector in a number of markets, attracting the likes of Danone, Fonterra and Nestle. However, with competition intensifying, with the macro-economic landscape mixed and with consumers showing an interest in moving to "better for you" options and different ways of consuming yoghurt, innovation will be key to help manufacturers stay ahead. Hannah Abdulla explores.>
Campbell Soup Co.'s third-quarter results included some positive news. Sales from the US group's baking and snacking arm grew solidly, while the company's profitability beat analyst expectations amid productivity savings and a pull back on promotional spending. However, Campbell's top line remains under pressure and it may have to turn to other measures to get sales growing.>
Hormel Foods has moved to acquire Applegate Farms to tap into growing demand for natural and organic protein in the US. But what makes Applegate different is its ethical take on food production. If the company is to retain consumer trust under its new corporate owner, Hormel must let Applegate remain true to its founding principles, Katy Askew argues.>
Current hot issue
A year after buying Muscle Milk maker CytoSport, Hormel Foods has again used M&A to buy into a fast-growing category.
French politicians have passed legislation that bans large stores from throwing away unsold food in a bid to tackle waste.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Global FMCG analysts IRI gives you key insight into the trends and issues facing the food sector.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Post, Flowers, Bimbo among Hostess bidders - reports
- Heinz moves to block Boulder's Smart Balance TM entering frozen
- Bel takes majority stake in Moroccan dairy Safilait
- Amazon "plans to add own grocery line"
- Consumers "misled" over fruit snacks
- Sweden mulls additional fortification requirements
- FSA: 73% of supermarket chickens have campylobacter
- Food industry results in brief - Sanderson Farms, Barilla
- Food industry news of the week: Applegate Farms, Bel, Smart Balance
- Food industry quotes of the week: Hormel, FSA, Arla
- Mondelez faces challenge on saturated fat goal
- Flowers Foods sees mixed Q1
- Nestle launches Hot Pockets snacks in US
- Univeg to invest in Veiling Haspengouw
- Post sees 35% of egg supply hit as AI continues to spread
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)