Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
BRF, the Brazil-based meat giant, announced this week that it has teamed up with the state of Qatar to buy a majority stake in Turkey-based processor Banvit Bandirma Vitaminli Yem Sanayii. The move will see BRF's recently-established halal unit, OneFoods, enter the Turkish market. Could BRF be paving the way for plans to partially float OneFoods? Katy Askew investigates. >
In November and December, we ran our annual Confidence Survey to see how our international food industry readership saw 2017 unfolding. Here we present the results of the section of the survey that looked at international investment, emerging markets, M&A, innovation and competition.>
Concerns about the potential impact on the UK's food industry in 2017 over the impending "divorce" from the EU are looming large for suppliers, retailers and consumers alike. The formal two-year round of Brexit talks aimed at shaping future UK-EU relations, including in areas such as import and exports of food products, are scheduled to start in March. The UK government is under fire for being too secretive about what the post-Brexit trading environment with EU nations will look like. However, food industry analysts say consumers will expect to see exactly the opposite approach from manufacturers, with shoppers favouring products that demonstrate transparency and clearer origin labelling. Healthy and better-for-you brands are also expected to continue doing well in 2017, together with a continuing trend towards free-from foods. Younger consumers, in particular, are expected to drive these and other trends forward. John Shepherd reports.>
A seismic shift in the US consumer landscape has redefined the country's food market in recent years, challenging so-called Big Food and making it harder for legacy brands to grow sales. Trends that gained steam in the US during 2016 include the rise of the "clean label", a growing awareness of GMOs, increased concern over sugar consumption and rising demand for free-from products. These will remain influential factors in 2017 but here just-food takes a look at some of the other emerging consumer trends that are set to shape the food US food sector over the coming 12 months and beyond. >
Foodservice is rapidly becoming a global industry, and operators and manufacturers need to be aware of, and stay ahead of, big trends to be able to fully capture the growth opportunities available. David Henkes, advisory group senior principal at US foodservice consultants Technomic, outlines eight trends he expects to see across the foodservice market in 2017.>
December saw an end to the wrangle over German supermarket chain Kaiser's, South African grocer Shoprite in talks over a possible combination with local retail giant Steinhoff and the recently-merged Ahold Delhaize outline its "Better Together" strategy.>
Current hot issue
We present the results of our 2017 Confidence Survey and take a deeper look at areas including consumer trends, foodservice and the digital sphere.
Unilever, one of the consumer goods companies seen in the vanguard of sustainable business, has issued data it claims shows the issue is a bigger driver of shopper behaviour in emerging markets than in the developed world.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Global FMCG analysts IRI gives you key insight into the trends and issues facing the food sector.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Clover Industries takes stake in Olive Pride
- Mondelez International plans "selective" Brexit price hikes
- Competition watchdog clears Bernard Matthews deal by 2 Sisters chief Ranjit Boparan
- WTO sets deadline for decision on Russia's EU pork ban
- Sanderson Farms opens poultry processing and wastewater treatment facility
- Lundberg Family Farms launches first Thai rice product
- Bubs chairman Alan van Noort exits after listing
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- HKScan issues another profit warning
- Kellogg names Fareed Khan as incoming CFO
- UK organic body looks to grow sector
- PepsiCo launches Walkers premium crisps in UK
- Commonwealth Capital opens SGD70m production facility in Singapore
- US targets increased organic production
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: big foodservice trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Kellogg announces new "nutritious" line-up
- Dairy giant Muller appoints new CFO, COO
- Kellogg's 1894 fund debut investment in Kuli Kuli
- Bellamy's CEO exits as outlook slashed