Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Wal-Mart's online business in the US has been growing but industry watchers believe the retail giant's expansion has been slower than the channel overall. The company has snapped up fledgling, pure-play business Jet.com, which recently added the delivery of fresh food delivery to its wider FMCG offer. Profitero's Keith Anderson looks at what the deal could mean for both businesses and for manufacturer suppliers.>
Delivering its first-half numbers yesterday (18 August), Nestle reported a stronger operating performance but a sluggish organic growth rate. Here are just-food's five takeaways from the company's results. >
The UK government’s action plan on childhood obesity in England, launched today (18 August), has been criticised by industry bodies, health campaigners and medical professionals alike. However, campaigners have more to gripe about than industry, writes Ben Cooper.>
Shares in Hain Celestial nose-dived yesterday (16 August) as Wall Street responded to a surprise announcement on Monday late afternoon US time from the Earth's Best baby food maker - and it was an announcement that capped an unsettling year for the business.>
The new federal bill on the labelling of genetically-modified ingredients in the US includes a critical compromise which will allow the necessary product information to be communicated through a QR code. Ben Cooper asks whether this enshrines the consumer’s right to know if GM ingredients are present or the right to find out.>
Amplify Snack Brands, the US snack maker, this week announced its latest acquisition, striking a deal to buy private-equity-owned UK crisp firm Tyrrells, itself a business growing in part due to M&A. John Shepherd weighs up what could lay ahead for both companies.>
Current hot issue
The UK government has published a "plan of action" to tackle the issue in England, while senior medical professionals in the US have published guidelines on the consumption of added sugars by children.
After starting the week with a surprise stock exchange announcement that hit its shares and called into questions its accounting practices, Hain Celestial could be set to receive a boost in the UK.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Global FMCG analysts IRI gives you key insight into the trends and issues facing the food sector.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Mondelez International buys rest of Vietnam snacks business
- Murray Goulburn profits rise, hits revised target
- Hügli expands in foodservice with Bresc stake
- Cloetta CEO David Nuutinen stands down
- Biostime positive despite infant formula challenge in H1
- Bega Cheese CEO Aidan Coleman to leave
- US FDA extends comment period on salt reduction targets
- Fonterra to invest in Australia spreads plant in Cobden
- US Westminster Foods acquires H Fox & Co
- Infant formula lifts A2 Milk Co. sales
- Scandi Standard H1 sales up but profits pressured
- Bega Cheese books higher FY sales, profits despite tough trading
- Scottish Salmon Co. reports "thriving market conditions"
- China to renew anti-subsidy duties on US poultry products
- Smucker lowers outlook as sales decline
- Nestle on China, candy, nutrition - analysis
- What lies ahead for Tyrrells and Amplify?
- Hain accounting issue rounds off problem year
- England child obesity plan should cheer industry
- Why Jet.com purchase could boost Wal-Mart online
- Lotus Bakeries enjoys growth organically, via M&A
- Mondelez buys rest of Vietnam snacks business
- Smucker cuts forecast as sales decline
- Unite outlines 2 Sisters stance on UK pizza site
- Arla Foods to help Nigeria's dairy development