Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
Confectionery giant Hershey saw sales in China come under pressure in the first quarter of 2015, a result of the government crackdown on gifting and macro-economic factors in the country. Hershey does not expect to turn this around soon, but insists it is putting the "right" things in place to secure its long-term growth in China. Hannah Abdulla reports.>
PepsiCo yesterday (22 April) reported a set of solid underlying first-quarter results. But it was away from the numbers that the US food and drinks giant stirred more interest, with Indra Nooyi's comments on the need to adapt to the changing ways consumers define health attracting attention.>
Nomad Holdings, the recently-established, UK-listed company set up by FMCG veterans Martin Franklin and Noam Gottesman to buy consumer goods firms, made its first move this week with the acquisition of European frozen food supplier Iglo Group. Stefan Kirk, just-food M&A columnist and advisor at Glenboden, weighs up where Nomad could move next.>
Arla Foods is looking at adding value to the UK liquid milk sector in a variety of ways, as shown by the product news it announced this week. As part of these efforts, the dairy giant is hoping to capitalise on the "macro-trends" shaping demand in the UK in order to kick-start "stalled" flavoured milk sales in the UK. Will the company's efforts pay off? Katy Askew reports.>
Nestle must adapt to emerging consumption trends and consolidation in the food sector with an “acceleration” of its portfolio adjustment efforts, chairman Peter Brabeck-Letmathe indicated yesterday (16 April).>
France's new health bill, which subject to two further votes could be ratified later this year, includes provision for a voluntary colour-coded front-of-pack nutritional labelling scheme. The debate this has sparked, Ben Cooper writes, mirrors closely that seen in the UK, with food manufacturers sternly opposed to the use of colours. >
Current hot issue
Newly-formed Nomad Holdings has made the European frozen food group its first acquisition, buying the business from PE firm Permira.
UK-based health food retailer Holland & Barrett has outlined its ambitions to become the country's largest free-from retailer.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Global FMCG analysts IRI gives you key insight into the trends and issues facing the food sector.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Hostess sale rumours hit headlines again
- Tesco delists Rachel's Organic yoghurt range
- McCain Foods to close US plant
- B&G posts Q1 profit, sales increase
- Wessanen enjoys strong volumes in Q1
- China to introduce "toughest" food safety law yet
- Inventure recalls products on listeria concerns
- Food industry results in brief: Ornua, Cloetta, Gruma
- PepsiCo launches Lay's Maxx in India
- Food industry news of the week: Iglo, Blue Bell Creameries, Hershey
- Food industry quotes of the week: ABF, Hershey, Iglo
- Blue Bell linked to listeria cases from 2010
- Mexico halts Iowa poultry, eggs on bird flu concern - reports
- Argentina's Verónica in "Latin America milk first"
- Mead Johnson reports mixed Q1
- Nomad's post-Iglo opportunities
- Comment: Nestle reacts to world of 3G and Buffett
- Focus: Can Arla jump-start UK flavoured milk?
- What the analysts say: Nestle's Q1
- The just-food interview: Bega Cheese CEO
- Arla to launch protein dairy drink in UK
- Pork Farms' Kerry pastry deal nears green light
- McCormick to move roles to Poland
- UPDATE: Iglo Foods sold to Nomad for EUR2.6bn
- ABF grocery profits up but pressure on bread