Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
The UK could vote on its membership of the EU in little more than four months but little attention has been paid to what impact an exit could have on the country's largest manufacturing sector. Ben Cooper weighs up the issue, speaking to executives from across the industry.>
Richelieu Foods, the US private-label supplier backed by private-equity, is expanding production with a new plant to support its growth. Dean Best spoke to Tim O'Connor, the president and CEO of the pizza-to-dressings manufacturer, to discuss the group's plans and how he sees the company's categories developing.>
When ISM, the world's largest confectionery and snack trade fair, closed its doors for 2016 last week around 38,500 visitors had been through its halls. A total of 1,601 chocolate, sweets, biscuit and snack makers from 65 countries exhibited at the show, a 5% increase on 2015. As you would expect, an array of innovative new products and marketing concepts were on display.>
January saw signs McDonald's moves to revitalise its domestic business are gaining traction, Pizza Hut look to boost its own US sales in part through an emphasis on value and Starbucks sound an optimistic note on China.>
Unilever launched a dairy-free variant to Flora in the UK, in its latest attempt to lift its sales in a struggling category. But is winning over a few free-from supporters and consumers with lactose or dairy allergies enough to do the trick? Hannah Abdulla explores.>
Mondelez International's shares took a tumble yesterday on the back of its 2015 numbers and its forecasts for 2016 - and were down again today. Chairman and CEO Irene Rosenfeld called the last 12 months "a year of very strong results" and, although conceding volumes would again be under pressure, forecast further improvement in profitability. What should we take away from the figures and from its outlook for the months ahead? Dean Best investigates.>
Current hot issue
Companies including Nestle, Mondelez International and Mars have announced pledges on cage-free eggs in recent months.
Mark Price, the outgoing managing director of UK grocer Waitrose, has been named the country's new trade minister.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Global FMCG analysts IRI gives you key insight into the trends and issues facing the food sector.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- PepsiCo forecasts dip in sales growth in 2016
- Bakkavor FY profits up on international sales, lower charges
- Dairy Crest sees signs of spreads turnaround
- Flowers Foods "not satisfied" with Q4 but upbeat on 2016
- Ventura Foods acquires Wing's condiments unit
- Snack group Zola snapped up by private-equity firm KarpReilly
- Atria FY sales dented by weaker rouble, "intense competition"
- Pilgrim's Pride posts FY sales, profit fall
- L.B. Maple Treat sold to consortium
- Lindt launches fruit-centred chocolate range in France
- Agropur sales get M&A, forex boost in 2015
- Russia draws up plans for tax on palm oil
- Abbott "doubling down" on snack presence with further launches
- AccelFoods to invest US$20m in food start-ups
- Aryzta's La Brea Bakery goes GMO-free
- just-food's pick: Innovation on show at ISM 2016
- Mondelez results and outlook - 7 things to learn
- What are the implications of Brexit for UK food?
- Richelieu Foods CEO eyes growth - interview
- Foodservice focus: McDonald's/Five Guys/Starbucks
- Chobani targets growth after rejecting offers
- Mars to cut artificial colours from global foods
- Private-equity firm HKW acquires Panos Brands
- WWF launches food security platform
- Arla eyes job cuts as part of 2020 growth push