Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
General Mills last week lowered its already weak forecast for its annual sales due to lower-tha-expected sales in US yogurt and soup. Unsurprisingly, then, the US food giant's efforts to reinvigorate its top line were the primary focus of its presentation at this week's Consumer Analyst Group of New York investor conference. Here are just-food's key takeaways from the event. >
The US poultry sector has been under scrutiny in recent quarters, with a number of the largest processors named in a lawsuit alleging companies fixed prices and questions over the use of a key, weekly chicken-price index. Throw in tough market conditions, concerns over the trade priorities of the Trump administration and the rise of meat alternatives and there is much for poultry industry boardrooms to ponder. Dean Best chewed the fat with Sanderson Farms CFO Mike Cockrell. >
Meat processed without the use of antibiotics has become one of the fastest-growing areas of the sector in the US. Fears over antibiotic resistance in humans, as well as the expanding underlying demand for food perceived to be cleaner or simpler, has driven a number of the country's processors to reappraise how they use antibiotics. One company that is so far refusing to go down the antibiotic-free path is poultry processor Sanderson Farms. Dean Best spoke to Sanderson Farms' CFO, Mike Cockrell, to find out more. >
Wessanen, the Netherlands-based food group, enjoyed a solid 2016 and last week forecast stronger growth in sales and operating margins this year. The organic sector is one of Wessanen's key markets and, talking to just-food at last week's Biofach trade show in Germany, executive VP for marketing Klaus Arntz set out where the company sees its growth in the category. >
A veteran of attending the annual Winter Fancy Food Show in San Francisco, just-food's US columnist Victor Martino reflects on the changes seen since he first hit the event and outlines four key trends from the floors this year. >
Kraft Heinz's takeover bid for Unilever came as something of a shock today – not least because of the seeming unlikely pairing of the 3G Capital-owned US group with the European food-to-personal care company. just-food asks whether the takeover offer should be taken at face value. >
Current hot issue
3G Capital and Warren Buffett's latest move in food has been to sound out the Ben & Jerry's and Knorr owner about a combination.
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage.
Stefan Kirk, of M&A advisors Glenboden, casts his eye over the food industry landscape and suggests the deal-making options that could - and should - be available to manufacturers.
Global FMCG analysts IRI gives you key insight into the trends and issues facing the food sector.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- Hormel cuts FY earnings forecast on challenges in turkey
- 'City institutions behind approach for Fox's Biscuits'
- Arla expects price hikes to drive revenue growth in 2017
- Apetit 2016 profits "unsatisfactory" in year of "renewal"
- Bell books earnings growth but margins squeezed
- Fisher Meats to raise production capacity in US
- Food market quotes of the week - Bonduelle, Maple Leaf, Tyson
- Food market news of the week - Unilever, Ready Pac Foods, Lightlife
- Sanderson Farms profits take flight on dark meat
- Pinnacle Foods lifts 2017 earnings target
- Maple Leaf Foods lifts threshold on CEO stake
- Delfi "optimistic" of continued growth in 2017
- Mission owner Gruma books higher FY sales, profits
- High Liner Foods looking for NPD to kick-start volumes
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin