Food Industry News, Analysis and Insights
Comprehensive coverage of the food industry's latest, breaking news and insights brought to you by just-food's leading network of international journalists.
US group Hormel Foods has been busy looking for acquisitions in recent quarters, succeeding in some places and apparently being thwarted elsewhere. Announcing its third-quarter results yesterday (21 August), the Skippy peanut butter maker indicated it was ready to make more deals.>
There are signs of economic recovery across much of Europe but grocery sales remain under pressure. IRI's Tim Eales analyses why and suggests how retailers and manufacturers can try to drive growth.>
Hain Celestial, the US natural and organic food group, has indicated it expects to drive continued organic growth in the coming year - even as it laps tough comparables - by expanding distribution and leveraging its innovation pipeline in the US and internationally.>
The Japanese food sector is dominated by domestic players. However, a growing acceptance of high-quality global cuisine that offers a strong heritage story provides international food exporters with room to grow.>
Lindt & Sprungli, the upmarket Swiss chocolate group, today (19 August) underlined why it is a business seen as one of the better performers in the sector.>
The Institute of Economic Affairs, a UK think tank, raised an important issue yesterday (18 August) when it insisted a decline in physical activity is the "root cause" of the obesity epidemic. The IEA research aims to debunk the widespread belief that our widening girths can largely be attributed to calorie consumption. However, while lifestyle factors are central to the obesity issue, Katy Askew suggests that a holistic approach - in which the food industry plays a central role - is needed to combat the problem.>
Current hot issue
Moscow has banned a range of foodstuffs from the US, the EU and other countries in response to the steeping of sanctions from the West.
A quick note to say we are closed on Monday (25 August) for a public holiday in England and Wales - but there's plenty for you to peruse on the site before we return on Tuesday.
Industry analysts IRI discuss the trends focusing the minds of manufacturers and retailers.
In a regular column, just-food contributing editor Ben Cooper chews over how the industry is tackling issues from obesity to labelling and from child labour to its environmental impact.
The verdict from global analysts on major company news
Exclusive data highlighting the price of brands and own-label products in key categories across Europe and the US. Compiled in association with industry analysts IRI.
We look at the potential suitors when food manufacturers or retailers are up for sale - or put forward as possible takeover targets.
just-food examines executives on the move
Coverage and analysis of the world's fastest-growing emerging markets
We put the latest CSR moves under the microscope.
The just-food team check out the latest goings-on among food retailers.
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Which manufacturers, retailers or issues are grabbing the headlines?
Food companies discuss and dissect their latest results.
- EU: Switzerland rejects EU request to bypass Russia trade embargo
- AUS: Dairy commodity prices drive Bega Cheese profits
- NORWAY: Watchdog blocks Nortura purchase of Prima assets
- NEPAL: Danish Crown ships first container to Nepal
- US: Hostess to close Schiller Park plant
- FRANCE: Intermarche cools talk of imminent Gad bid
- Quote, unquote: just-food's week in words
- Editor's choice: the highlights on just-food this week
- just-food research round-up: the new strategies for convenience food
- RUSSIA: Moscow eases ban on food imports
- GERMANY/CANADA: Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- GLOBAL: Nestle makes "major pledge" on animal welfare
- SWITZERLAND: H1 earnings up at meat group Bell
- NORWAY: "Record" H1 sales, operating profit for Leroy Seafood
- SWITZERLAND: Input costs eat into Orior profits
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- Nestle makes "major pledge" on animal welfare