Asia-Pacific’s food industry saw a rise of 7.41% in deal activity during January 2022, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by Fresh Easy’s $83m acquisition of Tasty9, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 29 food industry deals worth $225.3m were announced for the region in January 2022, against the 12-month average of 27 deals.
Of all the deal types, venture financing saw most activity in January 2022 with 20 transactions, representing a 69% share for the region.
In second place was M&A with nine deals capturing a 31.03% share of the overall deal activity for the month.
In terms of value of deals, venture financing was the leading category in Asia-Pacific’s food industry with $142.29m, followed by M&A deals totalled $83m.
Asia-Pacific food industry deals in January 2022: Top deals
The top five food deals accounted for 88% of the overall value during January 2022.
The combined value of the top five food deals stood at $198.22m, against the overall value of $225.3m recorded for the month.
The top five food industry deals of January 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Fresh Easy $83m acquisition deal with Tasty9
2) The $68.14m venture financing of iD Fresh Food (India)Ltd. by NewQuest Capital Partners and Premji Invest
3) Shanghai Linqi,Yisan Capital and Zhengxingu Capital $15.73m venture financing deal with Pei Jie
4) The $15.68m venture financing of Shenzhen Zhou Zero Food Technology by Joy Capital,Lightspeed China Partners,Primavera Capital Group,Yunjiu Capital and Zeng Ming
5) Zhejiang Timeshare Investment $15.67m venture financing deal with Hangzhou Tongpan Catering Management
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.