Canadian grocery retailer Metro Inc has acquired a majority share in food retailer Marché Adonis.

Under the partnership announced yesterday (26 October), Metro holds a 55% stake in Marché Adonis and in its distributor Phoenicia Products. The founders will retain the remaining 45% share and continue to manage both companies.

The deal includes all four Adonis stores in operation, three in Montreal and one in Laval. A fifth store will be open by the end of next year in Brossard, Quebec.

Phoenicia Products imports and distributes Phoenicia and Cedar brand products, and its two distribution centres in Montreal and in Toronto.

“This partnership will allow us to better meet the needs of the various cultural communities and increase our market share in the fast growing ethnic foods category”, said Metro president and CEO Eric La Flèche.

Montreal-based Marché Adonis specialises in Mediterranean products and has four stores located in the region with over 1,000 employees.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.