Edita Food Industries, an Egyptian affiliate of Greek snack maker Chipita International, has acquired Cairo-based international food company Hostess for €4.7m (US$5.5m).

Chipita holds a 25% stake in Edita, with the remaining 75% held by a local partner.

Hostess, which produces cakes and other baked goods, is a distributor of US bakery company Interstate Brands. Hostess posted a turnover of 52m Egyptian pounds (US$8.6m) and a net profit of 5.2m pounds for 2002, reported the Greek News Digest.