New research from IGD reveals that in Europe the top 12 grocery retailers account for over 32% of the whole grocery retail market. Following on from our Global Retail Index we have produced one focusing purely on Europe.
IGD European Retail Index (ERI)
European Total Grocery Market Share
Leading pan-European Retailers
Lidl & Schwarz
Major European Retailers (not yet pan-European)
Source: IGD Research
Market shares – IGD Research & estimates/M&M Eurodata
- The top 12 retailers represent 32.4% of the grocery retail market and 11.7% of all retail sales. Their combined group turnovers amount to €577.9bn, €345bn of which comes from Europe alone.
- In total, they operate nearly 54,000 outlets of which 49,000 (91%) are food retail formats (including cash & carry). These stores have a combined selling space of 64.4 million sq.m. with an average store size of 1,194 sq.m.
As before, the ERI has been compiled using a combination of “hard” and “soft” factors, although this time considering whether a retailer’s strategy, culture and learning can be considered European in outlook.
The research also considers how this picture might develop in the future, but this time looking at the top ten by turnover. Concentration of the European market will continue to increase, driven mainly by consolidation and new store growth. IGD predicts that based on historical growth rates in European turnover for the last 5 years, the top ten retailers, whoever they may be, will increase market share from 37 to 60%. Their combined European grocery turnover will grow from €337.1bn in 2000 to €461.7bn by 2005 and €669.7bn by 2010 (illustrated below).
Source: IGD Research, 2001
For further information please contact Jane Whiteley, tel: 01923 851917, mobile 07802 437579, Jane Beard, tel: 01923 851910, mobile 07770 640448 or Catherine Ellwood, tel: 01923 851916.
- Visit the IGD website http://www.igd.com/
- IGD is the leading research and education organisation for the food and grocery industry. Its membership is drawn from the total grocery supply chain, including retail, manufacturing, wholesale, distribution, catering, packaging companies and primary producers. IGD also has close links with consumer organisations.
- To order European Grocery Retailing 2001 contact Michelle Jarman on 01923 851925 or email email@example.com. Alternatively order on line at www.igd.com