View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
August 22, 2013

UK/IRE: More Heinz jobs at risk as shake-up continues

Over 200 Heinz workers in the UK and Ireland could lose their jobs as the ketchup maker's new owners set out more plans to streamline the business.

By Dean Best

Over 200 Heinz workers in the UK and Ireland could lose their jobs as the ketchup maker’s new owners set out more plans to streamline the business.

Heinz has put forward proposals for a new structure for its operations in the UK and Ireland, which it said could lead to 248 office jobs being cut. The plans are subject to consultation.

“The difficult actions we are proposing to take will, if implemented, better position the company to support and fund our next chapter of growth while further strengthening our world-leading brands,” Heinz said. “Our new organisational structure will simplify, strengthen and leverage the company’s global scale, while enabling faster decision-making, increased accountability and accelerated growth.”

Last week, Heinz announced plans to lay off 600 staff in the US and Canada – including 350 workers at the company’s head office in Pittsburgh.

Heinz was acquired by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway investment fund and private-equity firm 3G Capital in June in a deal worth US$28bn. There has already been a series of management changes, including the appointment of former Burger King CEO Bernardo Hees as chief executive. Hees was brought in as Burger King CEO when 3G acquired the US fast food chain in 2010.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every other month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU