As a result of ongoing monitoring of foodborne infection and disease, an unusually high number of cases of Salmonella enteritidis phage type 5c has been identified in Scotland in recent weeks.
Thirty-three people have been infected so far. Of these, one has sadly died.
The cases cover a number of areas: Greater Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Lothian, Shetland, Grampian, Argyll and Clyde, Borders and Forth Valley. Seven people were admitted to hospital although most have now been discharged.
Because these cases have occurred across more than one area, the Food Standards Agency Scotland is coordinating a wide ranging investigation.
An Outbreak Control Team has been set up to carry out the investigation. The team is made up of representatives from the Food Standards Agency Scotland, the Scottish Centre for Infection and Environmental Health (SCIEH) and the Health Boards and Local Authorities in the areas mentioned.
The Team met today and further information will be issued as it becomes available as a result of the ongoing investigation.
How well do you really know your competitors?
Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.
Your download email will arrive shortly
Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample
We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below formBy GlobalData
NOTES FOR NEWS EDITORS
- Salmonella enteritidis phage type 5c usually occurs in very small numbers: four cases were reported in 1999.
- Incidences of Salmonella enteritidis phage type 5c across more than one area became apparent on Wednesday 2 August. A national investigation was immediately instigated to establish if there was a link and the situation has been monitored continuously since then. Further evidence has now confirmed the extent of the problem and as a result the Food Standards Agency Scotland decided to convene an outbreak control team.
- The outbreak control team is made up of representatives from the following organisations:
- Food Standards Agency Scotland
- Scottish Centre for Infection and Environmental Health (SCIEH)
- The Health Boards and Local Authorities in the areas mentioned.
For further information media should contact John Booth, Food Standards Agency Scotland, on 01224 285120 02 07776 172 165 (out of hours: 07699782183)