General Mills has unveiled a new line-up of product launches for the summer in a bid to revive US sales.
The company said NPD has been inspired by four key consumer trends: growing demand for protein, bold flavours, gluten-free and whole grains.
“Everything we do starts with the consumer in mind, and in fiscal 2015 we’re applying this consumer first mindset across our portfolio,” said Ken Powell, chairman and CEO. “Through a deep understanding of our consumers – what foods they like, where they shop and how they like to cook – we are rapidly addressing their needs with products that offer relevant health news, increased convenience, superior taste and product quality.”
The company has launched successive waves of new products in the US in a bid to reinvigorate weak domestic sales trends.
In its most recent quarterly update for the fourth quarter to 25 May, General Mills revealed its US retail sales were down 1%. Sales volumes were up 1%. For the year as a whole, General Mills’ domestic retail sales were flat in value and volume terms.
Speaking at the time, Powell said the group’s “number one objective” in the new fiscal year is to “accelerate our top-line growth.”
- Cheerios Protein
- Yoplait Greek new flavours – Lemon Meringue, Key Lime, Peaches ‘n Cream, Honey, Piña Colada, Caffe Mocha and Caramel.
- Cascadian Farm Protein Granola
- Old El Paso Nacho Cheese Taco Shells
- Progresso Chili – available in Southwest Style Chicken Chili with Beans or Smokehouse Pork and Beef Chili with Beans
- Chex Mix Xtreme – with flavours including Habanero Lime and Sweet & Spicy Sriracha
- Chex Gluten Free Oatmeal – in Maple Brown Sugar, Apple Cinnamon, and Original flavours.
- Betty Crocker Gluten Free Pizza Crust
- Larabar Renola – in Cinnamon Nut, Cocoa Coconut and Berry flavours.
- Food Should Taste Good Brown Rice Crackers – in “culinary-inspired” flavours including Sea Salt, Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato and Basil.
- Whole Grains
- Suddenly Grain Salad
- Green Giant Steamers – new varieties of Steamers feature brown rice or barley with frozen vegetables and culinary-inspired sauces like Parmesan Asiago, Rosemary, and Teriyaki.
- Nature Valley Fruteria – available in Mango Strawberry and Strawberry Apple
- Fiber One Streusel bars – in Strawberry and Blueberry
- Betty Crocker Hershey’s Premium Dessert Mixes –
- Pillsbury Melts – in Molten Fudge Cake and S’more Sensation.
- Haagen-Dazs Triple Sensations – available in Praline Caramel Seduction, Chocolate Caramel Passion and Speculoos Caramel Desire.
Click here for our editor Dean Best’s column on the challenges General Mills faces in its domestic market.
Infographic: General Mills taps into the latest consumer-driven food trends with its new lineup of product innovation.