Nitto Flour Milling Co. is to form a joint venture with Mitsubishi Corp. in Vietnam to produce and market pre-mix flour for frozen meals. The new venture will be established in April and is expected to be operational by early-2007.

Nitto is set to merge with Fuji Flour Milling Co. in April, and the merged company will take an 85% stake in the Vietnamese venture, with Mitsubishi taking the remaining 15%. The operation is expected to have a total capitalisation of JPY280m (US$2.4m).

A 5,300 sq metre plant is to be built on the outskirts of Ho Chi Minh City with a total annual production capacity of around 2,400 tonnes. It is envisaged that the flour produced by the new company will be destined almost entirely for Japanese frozen-food companies operating in Vietnam.