View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
November 2, 2022

Dabur India acquires local spices firm Badshah Masala

The deal marks Dabur’s entry into the country’s growing branded spices and seasonings market.

By Andy Coyne

FMCG major Dabur India has bought a majority stake in local spices and seasonings firm Badshah Masala, it has announced.

Free Whitepaper
img

Packaging for the future: embracing circularity and reducing costs

Sustainable and recyclable packaging is more in demand than ever, yet the packaging industry is at a crossroads.

While the traditional practices and old ways of doing business are well-established and understood, avoiding the circular economy is not a viable plan for the long term.

However, this circular shift doesn’t have to be a radical overhaul overnight. A combination of small changes can make a big difference. And these changes can result in cost savings.

Siegwerk is an internationally recognised provider of sustainable coatings and inks for the packaging industry. The company has embraced the circular economy and is setting many standards in sustainability in packaging products while working with major brands.

To learn more about the work of Siegwerk in the circular economy, download this document.

by Siegwerk
Enter your details here to receive your free Whitepaper.

The deal, for INR5.88bn (US$71.1m), marks Dabur India’s entry into the country’s branded spices and seasonings market. It has taken a 51% stake in Badshah Masala with an agreement to acquire the remaining 49% after five years.

Dabur, which has a food business manufacturing products including pickles and sauces, said the acquisition is in line with its plans to grow its presence in the sector by moving into new categories.

Badshah Masala was founded in 1958. It has 52 products, which it sells in India and internationally, and two manufacturing facilities in Gujarat. Blended spices form 82% of its revenue.

Speaking about the deal, Dabur CEO Mohit Malhotra said: “The branded spices market in India is growing at healthy double digits, led by increasing consumption, upgradation from unbranded to branded and growing preference for regional flavours across states. The market is dominated by regional players and holds significant potential for growth in the future.

“Dabur has an existing foods portfolio and views ground and blended spices as a good addition to this portfolio. Badshah’s portfolio will gain from Dabur’s extensive distribution reach. We look forward to unlocking further synergies and market opportunities to capture the full potential of Badshah Masala.”

Badshah Masala managing director Hemant Jhaveri said: “Dabur stands for trust and heritage and joining hands with Dabur will help drive the future growth potential of Badshah on a stronger trajectory. Our companies are a great fit. This transaction will enable us to accelerate our growth by adding our products to Dabur’s broad portfolio to meet the needs of consumers across geographies.”

Related Companies

Free Whitepaper
img

Packaging for the future: embracing circularity and reducing costs

Sustainable and recyclable packaging is more in demand than ever, yet the packaging industry is at a crossroads.

While the traditional practices and old ways of doing business are well-established and understood, avoiding the circular economy is not a viable plan for the long term.

However, this circular shift doesn’t have to be a radical overhaul overnight. A combination of small changes can make a big difference. And these changes can result in cost savings.

Siegwerk is an internationally recognised provider of sustainable coatings and inks for the packaging industry. The company has embraced the circular economy and is setting many standards in sustainability in packaging products while working with major brands.

To learn more about the work of Siegwerk in the circular economy, download this document.

by Siegwerk
Enter your details here to receive your free Whitepaper.

Topics in this article: ,
NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every other month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Just Food