On Monday (22 May) Dutch retailer Royal Ahold will introduce 1,000 price-cuts in its Albert Heijn stores in the latest development of the on-going price wars, a spokesperson for the company told just-food.

Approximately 80% of products to have their prices cut will be named brands, with the remaining 20% being own-brand goods, Jose Mas, Ahold spokesperson, said. A wide range of products will have their prices reduced, Mas said, from frozen foods to cleaning products and beverages.

“This move is part of our repositioning strategy. In October 2003 we introduced our first round of price cuts and since then we have had 12 major reductions in our stores. The cuts are designed to benefit our consumers and we feel that it is the right strategy for us because our market share has increased in the past year,” Mas told just-food.