Norway-based food group Orkla has announced its acquisition of Finnish foodservice business Seagood Oy Fort Deli for an undisclosed sum.

Orkla has bought 80% of the shares of Fort Deli. Henrik Poulsen, Fort Deli’s CEO, will retain the remaining 20% of the shares in the business and will continue to lead the company

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

According to Orkla, Fort Deli holds a strong position in the Finnish hotel and catering market, which accounts for around 80% of the company’s revenues. 

It is an established supplier of frozen products, sauces – including the Hank’s and Nonna’s brands – and condiments in Finland. Orkla is hoping to combine its product portfolio with Fort Deli’s established customer relationships.

Jaan Ivar Semlitsch, president and CEO of Orkla, said: “With this acquisition we follow through on our strategy to invest in the foodservice and out-of-home markets, which we see as significant future growth platforms. 

“In addition, we continue our expansion in the growing Finnish home market, where both our branded consumer goods businesses and our out-of-home business through Kotipizza show excellent momentum.”

The Norwegian firm's most recent investment in the Finnish market was in 2019 through the acquisition of Kotipizza Group, which owns a chain of pizza restaurants.

Orkla operates in Finland through four companies. Their combined operating revenues in 2020 amounted to EUR425m (US$512m).

Fort Deli has ten employees and its turnover totalled EUR8.7m in 2020. It was established in 1996 and its headquarters are in Vantaa.