Pesticide was the most likely cause of death in 27 school children in the Philippines, the country’s health ministry has said, the BBC reported today (Monday).

The children died last week after eating a mid-morning snack of cassava roots at a school in the town of Mabini, southern Bohol province.

Officials earlier said the children could have been killed by naturally occurring cyanide in the roots, but tests indicated pesticide may have contaminated the cassava.

“It is very much possible that the food was prepared in an environment that was highly toxic and contaminated with chemical poisons and bacteria,” said health secretary Manuel Dayrit in a written statement.

“Dehydration secondary to pesticide poisoning was the main cause of death,” he added.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

One of the vendors who sold the snacks was among dozens of casualties admitted to hospital after eating the roots. The other is in police custody.

Cassava root is traditionally boiled as a substitute for rice in some poorer areas of the Philippines, but in this case appears to have been fried and processed into snacks.

Victims suffered severe stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhoea.