Princes, the UK-based canned-foods business, continues to have its production in Mauritius affected by staff testing positive for Covid-19.
Last month, the company, part of Japanese conglomerate Mitsubishi, halted operations at two sites on the island – on Marine Road in Port Louis and another in Riche Terre – after more than 60 employees were diagnosed with the virus.
Speaking to Just Food, a spokesperson for the business says the group has seen 220 employees test positive since 4 July.
“We were advised of 56 positive tests between the evening of Friday 16 July and Monday 19 July, relating to colleagues in our Triolet accommodation and a further 49 reported 20th July, relating to colleagues in a second accommodation facility that serves the Riche Terre site,” the spokesperson said.
“Our Marine Road site is operating normally, but Riche Terre has halted production as all colleagues that work at this site have been asked to either self-isolate (Mauritian nationals) or quarantine (expatriates) by the Ministry of Health,” the spokesperson said.
“We remain in close contact with the Ministry of Health in relation to testing at our sites and worker accommodation. Our priority is always the well-being and safety of our colleagues. Princes Tuna Mauritius has been following government advice since the outbreak of Covid-19 and will continue to do so.”