Nordic meat group Scandi Standard has taken a majority stake in Denmark-based organic and free-range poultry producer Rokkedahl Foods for an undisclosed sum.

Stockholm-listed Scandi Standard said in a statement it purchased a 51% share of Rokkedahl through its Danish subsidiary Danpo A/S, with an option to buy up the remaining 49% stake in 2023 based on an EBITDA multiple of six times.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Under the transaction, Danpo has agreed to guarantee certain of Rokkedahl’s interest-bearing debt and leasing obligations amounting to around DKK56m (US$8.7m). The deal is not subject to approval from authorities and is expected to close on 1 September.  

The Rokkedahl family has reportedly produced chickens since 1963 in Kølby in Himmerland, and they also operate Rokkedahl Landbrug, which supplies live birds to processors including Rokkedahl Foods and certain other businesses. The company’s brands include Rokkedahl Kylling, Himmerland Kylling and Limfjordskylling. 

Rokkedahl operates a slaughterhouse, which processes organic and free-range chicken.  

Leif Bergvall Hansen, the chief executive of Scandi Standard, said: “I am pleased by the investment in Rokkedahl Foods, which will serve as a great platform to rapidly develop the segment for organic and free-range chicken.”

He added Danpo will transfer all its chicken processing operations to Rokkedahl.

Scandi Standard said in a statement: “While Rokkedahl Foods will be consolidated by Scandi Standard, the investment is not expected to have any material effects on Scandi Standard’s net sales, net operating income and net cash flow, but will accelerate the implementation of a premium concept in Denmark and give access to the new processing plant that is ideally structured for processing of organic and free-range birds.”